Tiller Tamers for 1965 Widgeon

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
Oday Widgeon Lake Palestine
I have a 65 widgeon and want to put some kind of tiller tamer on the tiller I have the updated traveler system from DR Marine I have looked at the Davis tiller tamer and it looks to be too big for my tiller. Does anyone have a better way to keep control of the tiller when maneuvering Thanks

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I'm guessing the original tiller extension was just a stick, with a hinge on it, that boat doesn't really need a tamer.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It would be a waste of time and effort to install a tiller tamer on a Widgeon. First of all there is no practical purpose; where are you going to move to if not by the tiller? Second the boat's length is too short to hold a straight course or balance for any length of time. It requires continuous inputs to the tiller and the need to be able to respond quick.

Jul 27, 2017
O'day Widgeon Wisconsin Rapids, wI
I use a simple jam cleat under the tiller and a bungee running from one end of the transom to the other. The bungee can be pulled forward and looped over the jam cleat which then holds the tiller reasonably well although you can still move it a little. It isn't very useful when the wind is blowing but when in a very light wind it will hold the boat steady enough for long enough to slice cheese for you dinner sandwich or pour another glass of wine. I use mine all the time. Hope that helps.

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
Oday Widgeon Lake Palestine
It would be a waste of time and effort to install a tiller tamer on a Widgeon. First of all there is no practical purpose; where are you going to move to if not by the tiller? Second the boat's length is too short to hold a straight course or balance for any length of time. It requires continuous inputs to the tiller and the need to be able to respond quick.
When you tach and you are trying to work the mainsail lines it is nice to have the tiller held in one spot till your done