Survey - Moisture in Rudder / Swim Platform / Deck?

Jul 30, 2018
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
Hello,

Curious your thoughts on a 2yr old survey of an 1997 Oceanis 321 - specifically these comments below.

Is this considered "normal" for a Beneteau of this age? Would this be considered a deal breaker? Other thoughts?

1633361456784.png

1633361541489.png

1633361675315.png

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Too vague to make an informed judgment but generally, it would surprise me to find any 25 year old boat with no leaks or elevated moisture readings. Plus a 2year old survey is way past it’s usefulness.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The rudder description would worry me…not so much on the swim platform. But I would inspect the rudder tube carefully if there is evidence of leaking.

Greg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The rudder description would worry me…not so much on the swim platform. But I would inspect the rudder tube carefully if there is evidence of leaking.

Greg
I agree with Greg.
The last comment about the cover for the steering cables, to me would be no big deal. That cover is solid fiberglass at least on my boat and has no wood in it that would be compromised.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The last comment about the cover for the steering cables, to me would be no big deal. That cover is solid fiberglass at least on my boat and has no wood in it that would be compromised.
which begs the question how reliable any of those moisture findings are if its solid glass.

Jul 30, 2018
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
Appreciate the feedback! The area around the chainplates was said to have been repaired and the other areas left untouched. Nevertheless, having another survey conducted by a different individual this Friday to validate no serious structural or safety related issues.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
If the new survey comes up with wet and cracked rudder issues, you could just factor a replacement into your offer. My rudder on the 310 annually accumulates a little water and my annual routine after hauling is to drill a small hole (3/16) at the lowest point to let it drain over the winter so it doesn't freeze and crack the rudder. Then in the spring, I just fill the hole with glass impregnated epoxy. I think that is a common issue with Beneteau rudders if I'm not mistaken. Sounds like yours was allowed to accumulate and freeze.