A simple list of preparations…

Mar 25, 2021
Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 119 Marina del Rey
Hello!

I’m planning a trip to Hawaii from California in a few years, and I would absolutely love a simple list of what to bring (spares, safety gear, food, water). If anyone has a list and is willing to share, it would be much appreciated.

Elliot

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Check any of the Transpac race requirements, they will have an exhaustive list of offshore equipment.

If you do this in a Flicka, be prepared for a long trip.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
spares, safety gear, food, water
There are websites oof sailors who have made the trip and in their writeup you can learn of their story and what they thought they needed and what they brought.

Are you considering the trip in the listed Flicka 20?

WATER:
You will need water. Minimum is 1 gal per day per crew member.

Depending on where you start... LA to Honolulu is 2224 nm - shortest distance - perfect navigation. If you average 96nm a day (4 knts per hour 24 hours per day). You will be at sea 24 days. That would be 24 gallons of water (no reserve). I would plan to have a reserve. I would expect you will have some days when you barely move. And there will be days when you seem to move backwards. I would plan for 35 to 45 days.

SAFETY GEAR
How risk tolerant are you?
Personal Flotation device. Life raft. Emergency food. Where do you stop?

The suggested read: Thoughts, Tips, Techniques & Tactics For Singlehanded Sailing by Andrew Evans.

Mar 25, 2021
Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 119 Marina del Rey
There are websites oof sailors who have made the trip and in their writeup you can learn of their story and what they thought they needed and what they brought.

Are you considering the trip in the listed Flicka 20?
I am planning to sail a Flicka 20 (see this thread).
Depending on where you start... LA to Honolulu is 2224 nm - shortest distance - perfect navigation. If you average 96nm a day (4 knts per hour 24 hours per day). You will be at sea 24 days. That would be 24 gallons of water (no reserve). I would plan to have a reserve. I would expect you will have some days when you barely move. And there will be days when you seem to move backwards. I would plan for 35 to 45 days.
I'm kind of worried about the timing, that is a lot longer than I thought.
SAFETY GEAR
How risk tolerant are you?
Personal Flotation device. Life raft. Emergency food. Where do you stop?

The suggested read: Thoughts, Tips, Techniques & Tactics For Singlehanded Sailing by Andrew Evans.
What do you mean by both risk tolerance and "where do you stop"?
Will read, thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
Most folks who consider a 2000 plus nm voyage, have been punt on the water for a few sails of 100 - 500 - 1000 n miles to develop an understanding of their own limits and a level of confidence in their boat and the systems. They have experienced pleasant weather and nasty weather having gained and understanding of both.

Your first post about the Catalina Islands and your post “Took the ASA 101, and this is my first boat!” lead me to believe at this time it may be premature to be taking a 35 day cruise into open ocean.

you know if you sails your boat up to Seattle and back it would be just about as long as if you sailed to Hawaii. You could try to sail nonstop but that might be a pain. Better to sail up in steps along the coast. Build boat and sailing skills. Meet interesting people along the way. Gain knowledge of weather patterns. On the way back you could attempt a nonstop to the channel island off LA.

A couple of books about sailor with their first boat come to mind.

Tranquility: A Memoir of an American Sailor
by Billy Sparrow

and

“A Foolish Voyage: self-Discovery at Sea” found on Amazon.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You have a link for the first one?
What? That IS the link.
What do you mean by both risk tolerance and "where do you stop"?
Should be obvious.
Do you have a link?
He told you where to look. Cut & paste and Google.

Look friend, if you can't figure this out...

I think what we're trying to say is that as much as we all appreciate new sailors wanting to expand their horizons, starting out your first sail by trying to get to Hawaii might be more than what we've learned about you so far could possibly handle.

We wish you all the best, but on this forum, as all other baoting forums, safety is paramount. Yours.

From what we've read, you're not ready yet.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Kind of assumed prior to sailing to the Hawaiian Islands you will do a few sails to the Catalina Islands. One of the requirements for the single handed Transpac is a 400 mile at least 100mile offshore cruise. This takes 3+ days typically gives people a sense of their energy budget, their food budget and time to get properly tired.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
I came across some info that you might find helpful. It is ideas from a book ”The Self Sufficient Sailor” by Larry and Lin Pardey.
The chapter title ”Tools and Spares for Offshore Voyagers” seemed on point.

They recommend Simplicity in boat and equipment. It helps the less skilled sailor get away from the dock. They do not need to amass extensive skills to be able to care for complex systems While cruising.