Seventeen Years and Out!

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Well, that bittersweet day has come. The boat is sold and delivered to a new owner. Bought it in September of 2004 and sold it in September 2021. Now it remains to be seen as to how long I can remain boatless. Is there a 12 step program for this?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I understand the feeling.

Yes, there is a 12 step program.

First step is to put the proceeds from the sale in a safe and difficult place to access, not your check book. A six month automatically renewing Certificate of Deposit is a good place.

Next, relax and enjoy the fall picking apples and leaf peeping during the time you would have spent winterizing.

Cancel all your subscriptions to sailing magazines, sailing email lists, and forums.

The first dangerous time will be in the winter, the time when you normally start making plans for the summer.

Then the spring, you may well succumb to your base desires. Your friends at the yard will be out enjoying buffing and waxing, sanding and all the spring commissioning jobs. You'll be home tending to the lawn and gardens.

Resist the urge to visit Yachtworld.com

Resist the urge to check on friends on SBO.

That should get you started.

And if you should relapse, don't worry in another 17 years you can try again. ;)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Well, that bittersweet day has come. The boat is sold and delivered to a new owner. Bought it in September of 2004 and sold it in September 2021. Now it remains to be seen as to how long I can remain boatless. Is there a 12 step program for this?
Oh, the pain!!! We’re in our 17th year as well with the present boat. June 2004 ‘til now. I try at times to forecast a boatless “life” but it is difficult to fully see. I have many friends who have already moved on. What do I hear back? 1) More money to spend on other things—esp. foreign travel (who knows now?), but also on consumer items like a new car or motorcycle(s). 2) More free time (i.e., no boat to keep up) to work on other things (ugh-the yard!). 3) Opportunity to develop new outdoor hobbies such as golf, tennis, or target shooting, etc. In other words—replacement. When, and if, you get the “urge”, CHARTER. Buy a trailer sailer—a nice, small daysailer. Join a yacht club as a “shore” or “social member“ where you will likely find other members “in-between boats” to commiserate with!! Yes, there is a post boat-ownership life, give it a go; try it out.
KG

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
First step is to put the proceeds from the sale in a safe and difficult place to access, not your check book. A six month automatically renewing Certificate of Deposit is a good place.
That is a good idea.

I was going to suggest a slow grow mutual fund. but that will work.
Additionally, you might consider taking the money you save each month from not having to pay moorage, repairs, budget for new/replacement gear and put that away each month in the same pot.

And lastly, suggest to your significant other "with all the money we are saving lets go on a world tour...."

Then all the temptation will be gone.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We are between boats now and I hate it. Couch surfing. Nice enough places, nice enough people, but when
I go outside all I can see are little patches of sky. Last night it was near 23:00 before I could see the moon. It wasn't cloudy, nor are we in a big city, but there are trees everywhere we stay. I guess I should be happy they aren't huge buildings, but still....
At least no one has asked me to mow the lawn, yet.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I tried the 12 step program for this one several times, never with any long term success.. First time when I went to college - oh right, still had both a canoe and a kayak - however, within a few months I had to have a sailboat also (and that was when I had really limited funds). Next time was when I sold that boat and moved to Europe but that really only lasted the flight time over... Not even sure that one counts... Yeah, I usually get to step 1 and can't progress... Step 1: We admitted we are powerless over sail-boating - that our lives had become unmanageable. And there I am dead in the water (pun intended) - my life is unmanageable without a sailboat!!!!

But I guess I'm just too much of an addict! Perhaps the day will come when I succeed in removing this addiction.... time will only tell...

dj

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Try model railroading. :) It's fun, time consuming, opens new vistas (in your mind), has nice online forums, is creative, involves electricity and mechanical things. Just like boating only no bottom painting.
and a lot dryer....

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Purchased our boat in 2002. She has taken us on many extended cruises all over PNW waters. She is so much fun, hard to tell if and when we might part. She helps keep me young at heart, filling my days with hope and adventure. Some day we will part largely due to my age; no spring chicken here. Until that time comes, we will sail on together.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Breaking up is hard to do. Try remembering the bad stuff (sailors are bred to file it away... deep).

• Ha