Maine Sail update

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
There isn’t a sailer on this sight that hasn’t benefited from his knowledge. He has been an asset to all of us. Prayers and positive thoughts that he recovers to rejoin our community. To reiterate what Dave said, I came to sailing in 2007 with no experience. This sight and Rodd personally are responsible for my seamanship and boating knowledge. Positive vibes Rodd!

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Thanks SO much for making us aware/updating. MaineSail is a living legend - few serious sailors I talk to aren't aware of who he is and his tremendous contributions to the sailing community. I've both purchased excellent products from him, and received great advice when upgrading my systems. The writing he has done, and posted on his site, should be put into a book at some point - its that good. Which isn't surprising, given that he is also a contributor to Practical Sailor on occasion. I'll be donating. Its the least I (we) can do. Here's hoping MaineSail is back on the water in fit form, soon.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thanks for letting us know, Phil.. REALLY glad to hear that he is making progress.. Rodd has provided so much tech data on batteries and electrical systems.. and of course the butyl tape..and all of his outstanding articles.. He is a cornerstone of the forum! Wishing him a speedy recovery..

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
This is indeed distressing news! But thanks for letting us know so we can send our positive thoughts in Rodd's direction. As others have said, I don't think it is possible to have been on this site for long and to not have benefitted from @Maine Sail's expertise. An incredible resource who freely shares his knowledge with idiots like me. I'll look forward to his return.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
This morning I heard about this on the sabre group. It made me very sad.
RC is a great guy. Very generous with his knowledge, truly a gentlemen.
I'll definitely say a prayer for him & his family tonight.

Bob Jennings

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I have learned so much from MaineSail’s posts and articles over the years and have purchased his butyl sealant. I just made a donation.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Maine Sail has been a go to resource many times over the years. He has by way of this site saved me significant time and expense. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
Whoa, really sorry to hear this. Maine Sails tutorials and feedback have saved me bundles of boat bucks and given me the confidence to DIY. The article on buffing and waxing has done wonders for the look of my boat and fiberglass TT.

wishing you a speedy and full recovery Maine Sail!

Jan 9, 2020
J J/42 1 New Castle NH
Hang tight and fight hard, Rodd. You will come out stronger. You are one of planet earth's premium grade humans.. Sean C.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I've been on this site 15 years. Back when I started my knowledge of both sailing and boats was so thin. There has been an incredible learning curve that has been fed so very much by Maine Sail. I can't thank him enough for his many contributions to what I hold under my hat now. Get well, get strong......we still need you!!!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Thank you, Phil, for letting us know about Rodd. We wish him well and a speedy recovery soon and return to what he enjoys; life.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I hope things are going as well as they can for Rodd right now. Does anyone know if a work party was organized to get his boat taken care of for the winter? It would be really good if that was one thing he didn't have to worry about while trying to get better. Any news on that front? Anyone in direct contact with him or the family?