New H240 owner - portable toilet question

Sep 13, 2021
Catalina Capri 26 280 Lake Jacomo
Hello -
My wife and I just purchased our first ever sailboat - a H240. The original SaniPottie is gone, but the hold down brackets are still there. I want to replace the potty and can't decide if I should find an OEM version that uses the same brackets or get something like a Thetford 345.

Can anyone share exactly what will fit in the existing space? I want it to still fit under the access door in the vberth. The Thetford says it is 13.4 inches I think.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Chris

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
"Peggy the Head Mistriss" is our go to poster on the subject of sanitation. I'm sure she'll chime in.
As for me, the mounts aren't difficult to re-do. I would get the porta potty that best fits your needs if possible and don't let the re-mount issue get in the way.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
My previous 240 had a Sanipottie brand portable toilet- made by Sealand (might be Dometic now). It had the metal hold-down brackets on the side. Since you have to fit under the hinged lid of the V-berth you might be limited to the smaller tank size. Note the Thetford MSD model on my current 260 has a much inferior plastic hold-down system- I liked the Sanipottie clamps and metal brackets much better. And if you go with a different hold-down system, remember the water ballast tank is lurking below the floor, so take care drilling/screwing.

Sep 13, 2021
My previous 240 had a Sanipottie brand portable toilet- made by Sealand (might be Dometic now). It had the metal hold-down brackets on the side. Since you have to fit under the hinged lid of the V-berth you might be limited to the smaller tank size. Note the Thetford MSD model on my current 260 has a much inferior plastic hold-down system- I liked the Sanipottie clamps and metal brackets much better. And if you go with a different hold-down system, remember the water ballast tank is lurking below the floor, so take care drilling/screwing.
Yep, that's exactly what it came with. I've found the original version online - or the Dometic equivalent. Wasn't sure if I should do that or if the more up-to-date versions from Thetford or Dometic are enough better or bigger to justify taking out the brackets. It's a little hard to figure out the exact size that will fit. It looks like there is about 13-13.5 inches of clearance there. Wondering if there is someone here who has replaced theirs and knows which models work.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Sep 13, 2021
BTW, models I'm considering are the Dometic 962/964, the Dometic 972/974, or the Thetford 345.

I think the Dometic 960 series is a direct replacement for the original. My primary concern is that is seems like an outdated design, with no emptying spout and a bellows pump. But it would take advantage of the existing brackets.

The other two models are newer designs with piston pumps and emptying spouts and I think are both short enough to fit, but without using the existing brackets.

Sep 13, 2021
UPDATE! It turns out the Thetford 345 is a perfect fit as a replacement toilet on the Hunter 240. It fits perfectly in the original spot under the v-berth. Posting this here in case someone else is searching as I was.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Fwiw, the active ingredient in AquaKem is formaldehyde...which, surprisingly is "biodegradable," it just takes quite a while to degrade, meanwhile doing a lot of harm to the sea life in the waters immediately surrounding the area where a tank using it is dumped (legally, of course). Most other chemical tank products that claim theirs uses a "non-formaldehyde formula" use equally nasty gluteraldehyde or quaternary ammonium compound. Be careful to keep any of 'em away from pets or children.

Just sayin'....

--Peggie

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@caverun made one notable comment. BE CAREFUL OF THE HOLD DOWN SCREWS IN TGE FLOOR IF REPLACING THEM. KEEP TGE SAME LENGHT BECAUSE THE TOP OF TGE WATER BALLAST TANK LID IS DIRECTLY UNDER. YOU DO NOT WANT TO PENETRATE THAT LID. IT IS HECK REPAIRING THE LID