Lost Prop Beneteau 473

Sep 7, 2021
Beneteau 473 Tarpon Springs
I lost the prop on my Beneteau 473. I am trying to figure out the shaft size and propeller size. Does anyone have any info on this?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The Beneteau spare parts site lists a few different options; maybe there were different engine options for the 473? The options are all 3 blade Right Hand 30mm, but the available sizes are 17x16, 19x12, and 20x13.

If you talk to a prop manufacturer and give them your engine and transmission specs they should be able to tell you the right model for your configuration.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I can't help with the prop size, I am just wondering how one loses a prop? did it just fall off?

Sep 7, 2021
Yes that is a great question!!!!!

Diver put new zinc on prop then next time I took it out I lost it:(

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Yes that is a great question!!!!!

Diver put new zinc on prop then next time I took it out I lost it:(
I haven't heard of a zinc on a prop. Mine is on the strut and drive shaft. I would think a zinc on a prop would cause an imbalance and fall off.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I haven't heard of a zinc on a prop. Mine is on the strut and drive shaft. I would think a zinc on a prop would cause an imbalance and fall off.
Some props ahve zincs, for instance the MAXPROP. If it is a MAXPROP I can't for the life of me see how installing or removing a zinc on a one of those could possibly lead to the loss of the prop. The zinc on a MAXPROP screws into the hub and there is no need to mess with the shaft prop nut.

What kind of prop is it and how is the zinc attached to the prop?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I can't help with the prop size, I am just wondering how one loses a prop? did it just fall off?
I have seen others loose their prop. After propeller is inserted the nut is tightened to push the propeller in. Then a castle nut is installed and to prevent the castle nut from loosening a cutter pin is inserted. If the installer forgot or neglected to install this pin, or if it rusted and fell off then the castle nut will fall off and the retaining nut will fall off then the propeller will come off.
It is rare but not impossible.
Haro

Sep 7, 2021
Just got back from marina and dove the boat.... The shaft is straight and not damaged. That is great news!!!!! It appears the loss was due to the bolts coming off. I am pretty sure this uses a castle bolt but no cotter pin. Still researching. I used a caliper and the shaft is 30mm. I measured it on the outside and on the inside and both were 30mm. The reply from "Davidasailor26" seem to be accurate.

Davidasailor26 - Any advice on the install? I am a DIY so would like to install it myself.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
The zinc usually mounts on the prop nut on stock prop ,so I'd go out on a limb the driver you hired caused this.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Davidasailor26 - Any advice on the install? I am a DIY so would like to install it myself.
We had our yard remove the OEM prop, and I installed a Flex-o-fold, so I’m not too well versed on how to handle the fixed one. If you’re looking to take this opportunity to upgrade I will say the Flex-o-fold installation was quite straightforward and I would recommend it.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I am pretty sure this uses a castle bolt but no cotter pin. Still researching.
The whole purpose of a castle nut is to allow a cotter pin to secure the nut. I know of no installation of a castle nut that does not also call for a cotter pin. If its just another or second nut that is generally just referred to as a "stop nut."

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
The whole purpose of a castle nut is to allow a cotter pin to secure the nut. I know of no installation of a castle nut that does not also call for a cotter pin. If its just another or second nut that is generally just referred to as a "stop nut."
Beneteau uses a tab washer that bends over the shaft nut on outside and sits in groove on shaft ,no cotter pin . The anode screws onto the shaft nut .Over tightening the screw that holds the anode will shear the tab most likely the inner one thats sits in the shaft grovve . Now there is nothing locking the nut ,spins off and prop comes off tapper on shaft

Attachments

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
OP said it uses a "castle" bolt. I have seen the tab arrangement for locking but that is not referred to as a castle nut. I was simply responding to the OP's statement that it uses a castle bolt (I assumed he meant a castle nut).

The tabbed washer serves the same purpose as the cotter pin on a castle nut. I can see how overtightening the anode might shear the tab in the grove on the shaft.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
OP said it uses a "castle" bolt. I have seen the tab arrangement for locking but that is not referred to as a castle nut. I was simply responding to the OP's statement that it uses a castle bolt (I assumed he meant a castle nut).

The tabbed washer serves the same purpose as the cotter pin on a castle nut. I can see how overtightening the anode might shear the tab in the grove on the shaft.
OP says "he thinks it uses a castle nut" , Beneteau does not they use a tab washer and special nut as I posted. There is no hole drilled in shaft for cotter pin. I have a kiwi prop on my boat that uses a groove in the nut that 2 set screws in the prop go into with thread locker .They lock the nut and if they came loose both would have to and the groove still prevents nut from coming off

Sep 7, 2021
I talked to my diver. Confirmed "No cotter pin on shaft". Said they had noted some corrosion on the brass nut. I know the previous owner did no maintenance on boat:thumbsdown: When I lost my prop I was anchoring and burped her in reverse several times. It should not matter, but most likely that caused it all to fail. This seems to be a bad design - "No cotter pin:confused:"!!!!!!! On next pull out I am going to get them to drill a hole in shaft for cotter pin install, but for now will have to replace with current prop configuration. I am going to go with a 30mm 19x12. Cross your fingers I can find something used. Later I will replace with folding prop and this will be spar.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
talk to a propeller shop or call the propeller dealer. You need to match the propeller to your engine to achieve the engine's maximum specified RPM's. Calling Beneteau might be another good place to start.

Sep 7, 2021
I found another prop!!!!!

I looked all over the place and nothing with a 30mm shaft. I did call Beneteau. They were helpful with info, but did not know where I could find it. It took some looking, but Vetus (https://www.vetus.com/) was the only place I could find it. My local Marine store (Sigma Marine) here in Tarpon Springs is a dealer for them and I ordered it - $775. Everything is back ordered right now so it is a 2-3 delivery.

Thanks for everyone's help.