Good anchorages and seafood on Chesapeake Bay

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We are board a chartered Catalina 35.5 with another couple in Rock Hall, MD next Friday. We hope to find a great restaurant for local seafood, and quiet anchorages. what do you recommend?

(We will spend one night in Annapolis visiting friends.)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
You’ll have fun!

Check out the Horse Farm AKA Eagle Cove anchorage in the Magothy. It’s a nice sail from Rock Hall and a wonderfully protected anchorage. Last time I was there on a weeknight it was not crowded. Last time I went there on a weekend it was packed, but if that happens there are alternatives on the Magothy to go to.

If you go north Still Pond is very nice in a southerly wind, and Turner Creek bend in the Sassafras has plenty of room and good protection.

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
There are a number of nice restaurants right there at Rock Hall, with a nice anchorage just outside at Swan Creek. Don't know how long your charter is, but you can do a lot of great sailing using that as a base.

Feb 11, 2017
Rosborough 246 Upper Chesapeake
Harbor Shack and Waterman's Crab House in RH, Cantler's on Mill Creek just north of Annapolis.

Second Swan Creek as an anchorage. Mind the buoys and marks. It shoals quickly out of the channel. The East Branch of Langford Creek off the Chester has some nice anchorages as does the Wye River off the Miles. If you get to the Miles you may want to stop at St. Michael's. The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum is well worth a visit.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Pretty much any seat that they serve soft shells is a good seat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When last in Annapolis, enjoyed good food at
  • Iron Rooster - good food downtown
  • Mike's Restaurant & Crab House - Great outdoor dining site on Riva Rd
  • Cantler's Riverside Inn - at the end of Forest Beach Rd. - Great Crab

Nov 10, 2009
Hunter 410 Rock Hall, MD
We are board a chartered Catalina 35.5 with another couple in Rock Hall, MD next Friday. We hope to find a great restaurant for local seafood, and quiet anchorages. what do you recommend?

(We will spend one night in Annapolis visiting friends.)
In Annapolis, I like the Boatyard Grill. If you want to in the heart of the action, there is Middleton Tavern but you should check on flood damage. In Rock Hall, I like Harbor Shack. Pubby...but good food and service. In St. Michaels, Carpenter Street Saloon is comfortable option. Awful Arthur's has a great menu.