Stern vents - screen options?

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
I’ve had Rat issues a couple times in the last 6 months and have determined they get in through the air vents on the stern. It’s just a big hole there and I’d like put some kind of screen in them. Has anyone done this or give me some creative design ideas? For now they are stuffed with steel wool.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I’ve had Rat issues a couple times in the last 6 months and have determined they get in through the air vents on the stern. It’s just a big hole there and I’d like put some kind of screen in them. Has anyone done this or give me some creative design ideas? For now they are stuffed with steel wool.
Rats are tenacious and can get through a very small opening. If steel wool does not work the close them up with removable covers. Also remove all food sources, clean the interior with vinegar and put that traps out. They got to my ski boat and made a high mess that cost $7000 to replace upholstery and cushions 10+ years ago.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I got some galvanized wire screen and inserted it into the air vents. I have since replaced it with stainless steel mesh screen. SO far so good no rats.

Also helps that your marina has a regular rat control program that services the docks monthly. They are an ever present issue.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
I got some galvanized wire screen and inserted it into the air vents. I have since replaced it with stainless steel mesh screen. SO far so good no rats.

Also helps that your marina has a regular rat control program that services the docks monthly. They are an ever present issue.
I also use wire screen, about 3/8” mesh.

Feb 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII Pasadena, MD
No rats, but I did have a small bird make a nest in the exhaust vent (engine exhaust vent, thankfully not the fresh air inlet). You couldn't see the nest from the outlet, so it took me a while to figure out why this weird bird kept hanging around my boat while it was on the hard and why it followed my boat to the slip after splashing. By the time I heard baby birds chirping from the vent I figured out what happen. The baby birds lived and flew away, but not far as they hung around my boat all season long. The boat had the fewest spiders on it of the 7 years we've been at this marina. It was a pain to remove the nest, it was amazing how much stuff was in the vent.

Jul 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Florida Keys
I found some sink strainers at the hardware store that are a perfect fit. Stainless steel. They dropped right in. Good luck.