• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Invest 99L --> TD 9 --> TS Ida --> Hurricane Ida

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I heard from Jim that NO lost power.
Feels a little early as the eyewall is still at sea.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Eye hit land at 12pm CDT

Ida5.jpeg

25 miles East of yesterdays dashed line spot.;)

Calm winds here now.

Dammit Jim...

PS: @kloudie1 oops not looking good for Baton Rouge.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
This is crazy! Whoever built this dock and fish house should get a medal. Anyone who thinks about riding out a hurricane (rather than evacuation) should see this video.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
We never lost power and home it fine.:clap:

Hurricane Ida turned northerly a bit too soon and hit New Orleans worse.

IDa8.jpeg

Please continue to POST PICTURES HERE.

Jim...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Crazy times! Completed 30 hour evac (not by boat) approximately 150 miles East of home. Retuned home yesterday afternoon, minor roof damage with some shingles missing; no flooding. Boat did fine. Marina had approximately 6-7 foot surge, some due to sloshing effect when wind veered to SW on Lake Ponchartrain. No power, cable, & internet but generators are helping. Considering those less fortunate in SW LA, all is good here.

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Last Hurricane Ida update...

Record Rain Fall in New York City and New Jersey.
Partially Flooded the Subways. 6 Died from the flooding.

Sour bite of Ida's Apple as Gulf of Mexico evaporated waters let go.:mad:
_____
Bad news still happening from Louisiana, with Gasoline stations out of service, from Electrical Power outages.

Long gasoline lines , with hours wait times, makes Tempers flare. Many driving to Mississippi for fuel.

Police are trying to direct traffic as localized congestions builds.

There are more police at gas stations than out in neighborhoods.

Nearly riots, I am not Joking.:facepalm:

One Sheriffs officers coined a name for the ill tempered people...

GAS-HOLES

For us, we have learned to top off fuel tanks and extra Jerry cans, whenever a Storm is within 3 days of a Gulf Storm.
______
We have said so often...

Get Prepared Now!

Jim...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Glad to hear from you Gulf guys. Sounds pretty bad.
Regarding the ride it out vs. evacuate plan I am convinced the GTFOOD option.
I really hope Jim's boat made out - just didn't need a repeat - Dam it.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Crazy times! Completed 30 hour evac (not by boat) approximately 150 miles East of home. Retuned home yesterday afternoon, minor roof damage with some shingles missing; no flooding. Boat did fine. Marina had approximately 6-7 foot surge, some due to sloshing effect when wind veered to SW on Lake Ponchartrain. No power, cable, & internet but generators are helping. Considering those less fortunate in SW LA, all is good here.

glad u made out well. Was asking kloudie if he heard from you. All good on my end at MYH floating dock. Bent stanchion is all I got. House all good. Power out in Covington til yesterday. In gulf shores now on vacation.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
glad u made out well. Was asking kloudie if he heard from you. All good on my end at MYH floating dock. Bent stanchion is all I got. House all good.
All things considered, we all made out very well. Could have been much worse. Fingers crossed for remainder of storm season. Haven’t heard anything from Kloudie; he’s been posting so must be OK.

Tons of seaweed floating in Oak Harbor; guess it’s going to take a few weeks to decompose & sink.