RF ground

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Hunter 31 0 TSS, Apollo Beach FL
Installing new Raymarine Instruments on an 87 Hunter. In their wiring directions that have the shielding being wired to a RF ground. i have no idea where the RF ground is on the boat. I know where the grounds are for the DC, over the keel, but Radio Frequency Ground, not yet.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Boats normally do not have RF ground(s). When we talk about Radio Frequencies, we are discussing Alternating Currents (AC). The regular ground you are used to is Direct Current (DC) related. As you know, that is anything and everything related to the electrical system on your boat.

Now, can you tell us exactly what you are installing? Then we can tell you if you really need an RF ground or not.

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Hunter 31 0 TSS, Apollo Beach FL
Installing Raymarine Axiom+ 7, i50 depth, i50 speed, i60 wind. After further research RM says to attach to battery ground.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I have Raymarine instruments on my boat. They come with notoriously bad instructions.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I have Raymarine instruments on my boat. They come with notoriously bad instructions.
Most instructions are written by engineers who couldn't explain how to tie a shoe. I had this problem with a vast majority of engineers who I worked with. LOL

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Most instructions are written by engineers who couldn't explain how to tie a shoe. I had this problem with a vast majority of engineers who I worked with. LOL
I are an engineer and that’s why we invented Velcro. Having taught our kids and helped teach our grandkids to tie shoes, i can’t conceive of what words to use to explain that without repeated demonstrations.