Restoring lens on Raymarine "C" Series Chart Plotters

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Has anyone attempted to restore / remove the deteriorated UV coating on the lens of a Raymarine C series chart plotter? Raymarine no longer replaces the lens; however, they do recommend using Novus fine scratch remover, then using Novus polish to finish. Has anyone tried this method or any other method?
The lens on my plotter is not scratched, but the UV coating is very splotchy, making the display difficult to see clearly.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I followed that Raymarine procedure that you mentioned and it worked beautifully. Easy and effective. Did that many years ago and never missed the removed coating.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I followed that Raymarine procedure that you mentioned and it worked beautifully. Easy and effective. Did that many years ago and never missed the removed coating.
Thanks Roy, going to give it a go this weekend. Novus 1 & 2 arrived yesterday. I always kept the chart plotter covered; however, with it being mounted at the helm, guess exposure to heat, humidity, & moisture caused the coating to deteriorate. It is approximately 8 years old, so guess it is normal.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.........I always kept the chart plotter covered; however, with it being mounted at the helm, guess exposure to heat, humidity, & moisture caused the coating to deteriorate. It is approximately 8 years old, so guess it is normal.
When I purchased my 2005 Hunter 46 the previous owner never covered the pedestal with canvas to protect the instruments. Subsequently, the compass, instrument sun covers and bow thruster contoler were badly uv damagesd. So I sent the compass to Viking Compass for refurbishment, replaced the instrument sun covers and bow truster controller, installed a Sunbrella pedestal cover and, for good measure, installed a full cockpuit bimini.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Your damaged screen coating is likely from using Windex or similar cleaning products and not from UV exposure. Somewhere in the Raymarine manual is a note not to use these cleaning products on the screen. You will be fine after you polish the coating off. Further, I once asked Raymarine if the screens could be harmed by freezing over the winter. The response was that yes and you should remove them over the winter and keep them from freezing temperatures. Now you know.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Your damaged screen coating is likely from using Windex or similar cleaning products and not from UV exposure. You will be fine after you polish the coating off. The response was that yes and you should remove them over the winter and keep them from freezing temperatures.
Nope! Only used soft cloth with water to wipe; no chemicals. Since we rarely have temps below freezing, here in south LA, I doubt if that was an issue either. As I mentioned previously, the MFD was continuously covered with the plastic Raymarine cover under a full bimini cockpit cover. I believe the UV coating deteriorates over time because of exposure to heat, humidity/moisture. Unless the MFD is mounted inside a climate controlled cabin, the coating will deteriorate. Thanks for the encouragement using the Novus polishing procedure.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I had the same issue with a I70 multi function display that is about nine years old but was on the binacle most of it's life covered with the raymarine cover and a sunbrella wheel cover. in the spring of 2020 I put it on the cockpit bulkhead near the companionway. I always still use the raymarine cover but apparently I did a cleaning with the wrong cleaner and it messed up the finish of the screen as well. I really didn't think really too harsh but it somehow got under the cover.

I originally thought I might use something like a headlight restorer but am curious if anyone had full success with the suggested Novus cleaner and which one?

Attachments

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
As I stated above, I used the Novus product as suggested by Raymarine and it worked great. Screen is clear now. I bought the kit and do not remember much about the actual process. I was following Raymarine's instructions.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
For what it's worth, I tried the Novus product and it unfortunately didn't work on my I70 instrument display. My instrument display looks the same after following the directions carefully.

I asked Raymarine customer support before using and got the following response:

Subject

I70 screen restoration

Thanks for contacting raymarine

Is possible to try the fine scratch restorer but if the damage on the screen is not on the surface it may need
assistance of specialized personnel to dissemble the screen

you can check for repair services on your area if necessary here: