Sail question

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
john is correct, that if it were not ordered, then it is not correct. all my mains overlap the backstay. the sailmaker said he would do that for me when i ordered the sails. i'm happy how it works for me. chafing is no big deal for me.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
No. It should not touch the backstay. I think some folks on here have the backstay confused with the topping lift. Not the same thing. The sail should not hit the backstay. It may not be a huge problem but it will cause wear on the sail. The sail maker should have asked you if you wanted a roach and how much.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Extend the mounting for the backstay. I did that to my first monohull. Of course it was much smaller, so the extension on the top of the mast was nothing special. Just a half inch bolt with an eye hook on the end.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Looks like you either need to have the sail maker cut it down some for you, or trade your boat for a B&R rigged Hunter without a backstay (And keep your new sail).

Bummer.

Greg

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
thanks all for the comments this photo was taken after I just raised the sail. ibwas dead into the wind which was extremely light that is why the battens are on different sides of the back stay or caught as stated in sailing it more when I tack the sail easily clears the back stay and doesn't get hung up. the sail is much faster than the last. I think I will keep the idea of adding chafe protection to the area. Topping lift isn't an issue and is slack when sail is hoisted and have also re rigged the second reef point as can be seen in the photo the line was tucked under itself.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
@Dil , where do you sail on Barnegat Bay? I'll be on the lookout for a Hunter with sail #20. We are down at the south end below Oyster Creek. @Ward H and I typically sail up past Forked River & back so we can mostly be found between Forked River & Waretown. I agree with those that comment that it shouldn't be a concern. Sail for awhile and see if the interaction between sail and backstay is truly a nuisance. I also didn't put a lot of thought into it, but comparatively, our genoas take a whole lot more abuse at the leech than our mainsails typically do. The affect just may be inconsequential, and it certainly can be repaired in the off season if there is any.

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
@Dil , where do you sail on Barnegat Bay? I'll be on the lookout for a Hunter with sail #20. We are down at the south end below Oyster Creek. @Ward H and I typically sail up past Forked River & back so we can mostly be found between Forked River & Waretown. I agree with those that comment that it shouldn't be a concern. Sail for awhile and see if the interaction between sail and backstay is truly a nuisance. I also didn't put a lot of thought into it, but comparatively, our genoas take a whole lot more abuse at the leech than our mainsails typically do. The affect just may be inconsequential, and it certainly can be repaired in the off season if there is any.
Scott mostly sail the north end of the bay my marina is on the metedeconk we are actually going down to forked River tomorrow with another Sail boat from my marina 8/7. I also like to sail a loop on weekends anchor up across from old Barney on that west beach where they dredged last year. then back on the outside to Manasquan inlet some times we go down to beach haven, Atlantic city but on the outside also planning a trip to coney Island this summer. big blue 20 boat name is, Tide the Knot

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Scott mostly sail the north end of the bay my marina is on the metedeconk we are actually going down to forked River tomorrow with another Sail boat from my marina 8/7. I also like to sail a loop on weekends anchor up across from old Barney on that west beach where they dredged last year. then back on the outside to Manasquan inlet some times we go down to beach haven, Atlantic city but on the outside also planning a trip to coney Island this summer. big blue 20 boat name is, Tide the Knot
We are a Catalina 320 named Andante. I don't have a homeport on the stern right now. We will be around Forked River this weekend. We will anchor on Saturday either by Tices Shoal or Myers Hole (at Barnegat Light). We may sail in the ocean tomorrow. Wave or shout out if you see us!

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
will do Neptune NJ across the left stern my sailing mates boat is "Cracker Jack" we will be sailing together any sailing markings to help spot you?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
OMG, do no loosen the backstay to clear the sail!?!
Your leach looks really good. As you mentioned, it doesn't contact when sailing upwind. At first I thought you had the sail way over trimmed but you mentioned the picture was very light wind, over sheeted down wind. Many, many boats these days have a large roach (the portion of sail aft of the line between clew and head) which overlaps the backstay. I sail on a C&C115 with a large roach and they actually built tweeker strings into the sail to help it clear the backstay in light air when tacking. I wouldn't worry too much about chafe protection but if it is a concern to you then look at it at the end of the season and evaluate if you have a problem.