Hunter 38 Refrigerator

Jul 6, 2021
Hunter 38 Corpus Christi
We are new to us 2008 Hunter 38 owners. We purchased the boat without the original refrigerator (it was already removed). I was hoping someone knows what model the original unit was? We think it was a NovaKool R3800, but not 100% sure. I would also be interested in knowing if anyone has already replaced a similar unit and what worked for them?

Thanks in advance - Terry

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I’m not at the boat now and all the manuals and such are there. Here is the link to the SBO Hunter 38 section. There is information on installing the optional freezer but I don’t see anything on the replacement refrigerator.
You can send a note to the SBO folks As they are very helpful

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
I have the refrigerator and the freezer and happen to snap the model info for both. I have a 2006 Hunter 38 so I can tell the fridge was replaced at some point since it's manufacture date is 2014. I also have this source for parts: Nova Kool
IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

Jul 6, 2021
Hunter 38 Corpus Christi
Thanks for the pictures and info. Just checked on ordering the R3800 and from the dealers I spoke, I guess there is a 3 month back order. Not that I am impatient, but has anyone replaced this unit with another brand name?

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
This page on the Novakool website gives you the product dimensions and compares to the other leading brands dimensions: Isotherm, Dometic, Norcold, etc:
Product Specifications — Nova Kool Manufacturing ULC

After a cursory look, none jumped out as a drop-in replacement. Isotherm CR130 is close and has more cold volume.

I wish you luck finding something in stock. Supply chain challenges in just about any project right now.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Thanks for the pictures and info. Just checked on ordering the R3800 and from the dealers I spoke, I guess there is a 3 month back order. Not that I am impatient, but has anyone replaced this unit with another brand name?
i don’t think that kind of delay on appliances is unusual in today’s upside down world. My daughter tried to buy a washer and dryer from Lowe’s and was told it was a minimum of 12 to 14 weeks for delivery. An acquaintance built A new home and has been waiting since January for a refrigerator. There are just none available.

Not same product area but I ordered a Generac home generator in October of 2020. Dealer initially quoted installation for December. It was actually May before he could get a unit to install. I purchased 2 steel garage storage cabinets from Lowe’s and the delivery ended up being 16 weeks

I’ve been told the steel industry is severely disrupted and subsequently any products made from steel are impacted. so your 3 month back order quote might be a good grab. Might even be optimistic.