Salt water soap

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Years ago an old girlfriend was able to locate 'salt water soap' to have on the boat. Particularly useful to help with dish washing while conserving fresh water and for other things. Basically this - Saltwater soap - Wikipedia

I hunted around online a couple years ago and again a bit today but am unable to find such a thing. Everything I can find is fancy 'organic' soap where they claim to put seawater in their soap when they make it or other ridiculous things.

Anybody know where to buy this stuff nowadays? Ideally in bulk or concentrate?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here you go MFD. A link to what you seek.

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Thanks! I ordered up one of each kind above so we can try them out.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
We used to use Pearl shampoo. don't know it is still available.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
RE: Dawn dish soap........I remember the commercial in which the manicurist tells the client her fingers are soaking in it. (I do like the duckling portion of the commercial better.) I have heard that other boaters use Joy as their soap of choice for a salt water bath. I wonder what soap EPA recommends.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I read a post on the cruising forum and it looks like Dawn and I assume Joy are not good for the aquatic life.
worth the read. Seems like everything we do from our bottom paints to our soaps and our sun screens are damaging the environment.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We sure know how to muck up a pristine environment. Assuming it was pristine before we got there and we are the intrusion.

All I know is whales poop in the water and then quickly swim away. They do not turn around and inspect what they left behind. That is an action saved for us humans to do.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay