hunter 49 power in the UK

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
Hi all, I'm in the Azores after recently crossing from Bermuda, we've been cruising and living aboard now for 2.5 years. Adrian has 900w solar, silencing and 600a lithium bank so we've never used marinas at all and never use generator.
But... we are now about to sail up to the UK and have booked a winter birth for 6 months. the dockside power is 220 volt, I'm not sure what amperage.
the 49 I know is a 50 amp 220 volt boat but being Australian, I'm just not sure how the frequency thing will effect us. will we be able to plug in?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Not sure what the frequency difference will be between your boat and the shore in the UK. I can tell you going back and forth from the US to Germany and UK electronic stuff is kind of a crap shoot. The voltages are easy to convert and things with simple electric motors or heating elements basically work OK. Electronic stuff mostly TVs, printers, or anything with a clock does not take to a change in cycles. For some systems we had essentially an electric generator it would plug into a 220v 50 cycle outlet and would generate 110v 60 cycle electricity. Perhaps not an efficient solution but it worked, simple and quick.

Jun 2, 2004
Talked to a friend who works for a company that sells aircraft systems and has traveled to both countries.
He told me both are 22v 50 cycle just with different plugs.

You should be able to plug in and everything will work fine but may need to switch you shore side cable end.

I was posted to Lajes AB for a time and really enjoyed it there. It was sorta weird going from from one spot to another reminded me of Spain, then Hawaii, and then the Caribbean.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Recently moved back from the UK after living there for 3 years and ended up buying new 220v/50hz electrical appliances, tv, etc. The only U.S. 110v/60hz electrical equipment that worked was our computers with an adapter to plug the computer into. When we left we sold all the electrical equipment. You might have a different experience or work around.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
What Rick Web said is true. Once you have got the right plug at the shore end all will be OK.

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
Recently moved back from the UK after living there for 3 years and ended up buying new 220v/50hz electrical appliances, tv, etc. The only U.S. 110v/60hz electrical equipment that worked was our computers with an adapter to plug the computer into. When we left we sold all the electrical equipment. You might have a different experience or work around.
What Rick Web said is true. Once you have got the right plug at the shore end all will be OK.
so does the 49 use the isolation transformer to bring the 220 down to 120 inside the boat for power sockets?

Jun 2, 2004
I guess we are assuming your boat is set up for the power in Australia.

If that is the case the shape of the plug is the only issue. If your boat is a North American model we are back to my original post and you will not know what won't work until it does not work.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Explore the possibility of just switching your solar charging to an existing or new suitable 220/240V inboard electric charger to allow your batteries to power your appliances in your usual manner. Perhaps you may need the use of a dedicated shore power cord to feed directly into the battery charger without entering your shore power installation. The cost of a compatible power cord and perhaps a new suitable charger won't be anywhere near that of a marine power transformer. I am curious if your boat has both 110V and 220V individual circuits? The Hunters 50A US version combines two 110V circuits to generate 220V to power just certain appliances while the others are powered by 110V. Not sure that without the use of a transformer you could hook up to the 220-240V European power if your boat has such a configuration. I'm assuming you have already determined that your boat has 60 HTZ appliances and is what what leads me to believe you have a typical 50A US install.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Ok,
Here’s the scoop on the 49.
Your existing microwave isn’t going to like the 50hz.
Also, you need to look at which charger / inverter you have, and the power input will be specified right at the input block.
But there’s a problem here.
The Magnum inverter put out 60hz sine. Right away, your microwave has a problem, because shore power is 50hz, and your inverter is 60
Next, we move on to the Fischer Panada genset. It is 60 hz

I looked at the pieces for the charger on the magnum, and it doesn’t specify frequency input. I’ll keep looking

Because you have 2 very expensive items (inverter & generator&’putting oult 60 hz, you need a microwave that accepts both.
I went on the US website for new Panasonic microwaves, and it’s all 60 Hz

Some high amperage magnetic’s are optimized for either 50 or 60, but it appears that the Hunter is a 60 hz boat.
Let’s bring the next item into the mix … the isolation transformer.
I have researched the Charles Industies 12 KvA transformer that was fitted to some 49s.
Good news. It works 50 or 60 hZ.
If you have this transformer, contact me.

So, In summary, your microwave, and possibly tv are issues. But, the problem is that the inverter, generator are putting out 60 hz. Your shore feed is not compatible with your generation sources.

You will need to speak with FP & Magnum
energy about this.

Your problem is very common. It is essential you get this resolved properly, or there will be “smoke””
I’ve been on several boats with this dilemma.
Wish you luck