Best location for a Bilge Pump

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
I have gotten a few best scenarios, one of which was the Volcano, the area where the retractable keel ss-steel cable enters the boat from below. Of all the suggestions I received, I have never found water in that area. Always forward.

One consideration for a leak causing the bilge to fill while on a trailer was the " Rub Rail"............? If it is the Rub Rail, what do I do to remedy that issue? I have seen light at this area from transom forward where the hull connects to the deck. Is this normal?

Bilge Pump Through Hull Drain: One of you suggested to exit the boat via the transom, above the water line. Makes a lot of sense because anywhere along either side of the boat would take in water if the drain was placed in this position, specifically due to the heal of a sailboat, typically.
YOur Thoughts

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Of all the suggestions I received, I have never found water in that area. Always
That is because the c22 design does not allow water to flow between compartments. Effectively making bilge pumps only semi effective. Unless you start drilling drains between the areas.

I doubt that most c22 owners even have pumps.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Fiberglass is translucent, light can seen through thin parts or areas where pigmentation was mixed uneven; try spraying with a water hose best to test for leaks. For a small boat a manual pump and a bucket work best. If there is a salt water leak with a boat floating at rest it is best to find it and fix it.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
You stated previously that you got multiple wash-buckets of water in the cabin, while the boat was on the trailer and the hatches were all tight. Correct?

If so, the rubrail is not the problem. Very little water gets in there except when you're under sail and heeled over hard.

Did you investigate your anchor locker drain like I suggested?

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Thanks, Gene.....for keeping up with me while attempting to launch.
The boat was tight to the trailer rig where the drain hole was stopped at the roller assembly.
I removed the Roller and the Anchor Locker drained. I have yet to find something to poke down and through that drain access, but assume it is now currently draining.

We have had some pretty heavy downpours since the last empty and to date I have found nothing in the bilge, including the forward aft compartment under the anchor locker. We also have a hand pump on board where it will stay.

The only challenge, now, is that when launched and in the mooring outside our back yard, we'll need to just stay after it. One earlier comment was that the C22 was never intended to have a working bilge due to it's size and resultant poorly engineered flow to a low point in the boat. So, we'll live with that for the time being.
Now working on tying down boat to trailer with this storm coming our way, here in Clearwater, FL

Appreciate the follow up to our earlier request for comment

Sep 30, 2013
One earlier comment was that the C22 was never intended to have a working bilge due to it's size and resultant poorly engineered flow to a low point in the boat.
I didn't like that characteristic either. I drilled holes in every compartment where water could be contained, so it would all run to the bilge under the cabin floor. Our leaks have all been fixed now, and the bilge stays bone dry. But I still check it often, so that if/when something starts leaking, I'll know about it right away.

With regard to the anchor locker drain: that was another poor design. There is an air space between the hole in the bottom of the locker and the hole in the prow, where the water drains out. That air space is bridged by a little plastic tube, typically siliconed at each end. A horrible idea. The tube would constantly clog, and the silicone around the plastic tube allowed water to leak into that air space, and down into the forward locker. The forward locker would hold a gallon or so, and the rest would overflow and run aft under the liner, down to the bilge.

I am astonished (and intrigued!) that you got such a huge quantity of water leaking in from any OTHER source than that. But if you got no water in the forward locker, and no water in the bilge, it HAS to be something else. I may have missed it earlier, but did you say exactly which locker(s) the water is collecting in?

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Water was collecting from the forward berth directly under the Anchor Locker. I cleaned out the drain tube in the Anchor Locker by pushing a small wet line into the drain tube until I could see it protrude through the bow. During our last downpour, there was no water. However, it still remains a mystery where all the former two pales of water came from when the boat arrived, shipped from Santa Fe to Clearwater, FL. The boat is somewhat level on the trailer and once I removed the water the first time there has been no indication of water collecting currently
We have a tropical storm heading our way and that should be the final test for leaks.
When you said you fixed leaks, were were they and what deck attachments were the culprit?
Happy Independence Day from an American Patriot

Sep 30, 2013
However, it still remains a mystery where all the former two pales of water came from when the boat arrived, shipped from Santa Fe to Clearwater, FL.
One possibility comes to mind: When towing a C22 in the rain, the wind blows a TON of water under the forward edge of the sliding hatch. There's a gap there, about 3/4" high. It sucks rain in like a wind scoop.

Man, we had leaky everything. Anchor locker, stem fitting, chainplates, rub rail, keel bolt, mast step, pulpit rails ... you name it, it leaked. But, that's to be expected in 30+ year old boats. If you love your boat and want to keep her long term, you really have to suck it up and rebed every deck fitting, visibly leaking or not. It's a tedious PITA, but then you're golden for another 30+ years.

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
I guess we'll my wife get inside, close up the cabin and I'll start spraying water on the deck. This Tropic Storm way just be the best time to hunker down in the boat and look for leaks.
Thanks,