to be or not to be

Jun 26, 2021
Catalina 22 Waukegan
so, I have the opportunity to buy a 1973 22 for around $200. obviously, for that price; it needs a lot of work. My biggest concern is the foredeck and the hatch. Foredeck is super squishy. I've seen some of the threads about re-coring the deck and I'm not afraid of tackling that project. My question is; should I? I figure it will cost me $2,500-$3,000 to get her right. My gut feeling says it's not worth it; but I figured I'd pick the brains of some of you who have been down that road. thanks for any advice.
IMG_20210626_091915.jpg
IMG_20210626_091012.jpg
IMG_20210626_092105.jpg
IMG_20210626_092115.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Look for another one , you will need to rebuild hatch frames too, sounds like a goner

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Spend more to get to more — free is a good price, but looks a little rough. You can find a very functional C22 in the 2-5k range that will be a better mechanical investment.

Also think your cost estimate is low —5K assuming you have good to excellent skills.
You need to be clear on how much you value labor / repair / and rehab — if pure sailing is the goal, this one is a hard pass.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Your time is worth money.

It is likely that if you calculated the material costs and added a sum for your labour, at well below normal wages... It would exceed the cost of simply buying a boat in good shape, and going sailing.

If you like spending money and fixing boats.. Go for it.
If you want to.go sailing... Don't.

Like cars.. there is a reason some boats are cheap... they cost more to repair, than they are worth.

3000 to get her right ? Hehe
New cushions alone are likely over 1000

Probably needs new tires, bearings, wiring, ..
What condition are the sails in ?
Motor ?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
With any luck you can find a nice one that the previous owner spent too much money fixing her up better than new and is selling her at a loss. :dancing:

It happens often.. They dont call them "a hole to dump money into" for nothing.
The only variable is.. boat size and type = size of hole

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
My question is; should I? I figure it will cost me $2,500-$3,000 to get her right. My gut feeling says it's not worth it; but I figured I'd pick the brains of some of you who have been down that road. thanks for any advice.
No..... this is not the right "first" boat for you. However, it looks like a good "donor" boat.... the trailer alone is worth the 200... but I wouldn't sell the trailer until I've stripped the boat of all hardware, rigging.... i.e. anything of value.. (the spars are especially sought after on older boats). That way you can use the trailer to get the hull to the dump. Heck, if you do sell the trailer, then you can invite your friends to bring their Sawsall to a demo day picnic. Wouldn't that be fun?:pimp:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
OMG don't get me started on the price of new cushions .... I bought the boat twice on that little expenditure. :facepalm:
I was shocked when I got upholstery quotes the first time.

CD wants $2500 for Catalina 22 interior cushions.

For the price, someone could buy a walking foot portable sewing machine and the materials.. And be able to make other stuff later. ☺ (most of it looking like old stretched out clothing when done. Hehe)

It does take time and skill to do though. The price makes sense once you do the math, but at first glance you would think... "Naw.. Can't be that much"

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
If you have space to store it, for 200 bucks I'd grab it. Then when you do find the right boat you'll have an abundance of parts that may well be needed. You just never know, you could come across a boat that is in immaculate shape but is missing a key piece that would cost much more than 200 to replace. I don't know how many times I've seen a new owner post about having just bought a boat that was in pretty good condition but the rudder was missing or the boom, or the mast was damaged. Boats with key parts missing give you negotiating power and it's always a good feeling to know you've got the part needed sitting in your back yard. Another thing to think about is you'll frequently find boats for sale that don't come with a trailer, particularly in areas where they are kept in a slip year round. It sucks to find a boat you really want at the right price and then realize your gonna have to find a trailer that could cost as much as the boat. Even if you end up not needing anything from it, C22 parts are always in demand and you would have no trouble making a tidy profit. The rudder alone will fetch you the 200.

Jun 26, 2021
Catalina 22 Waukegan
I've been debating getting it just for the trailer and parts like some of you have said. The trailer has new tires and bearing buddies on it, so that's an added bonus. I like the Catalina for the sole reason of the availability of parts. I've looked at a Chrysler C22 in the past; but finding parts for those can be challenging. I do want something trailerable because I work in a seasonal business so might time is limited in the summer. Parking a boat at a slip would be a waste.