Hunter 33 Main Traveller Arch - Adding 12v Power to arch

Jul 10, 2019
Hunter 33 Bradwell on Sea Essex
Hi I need some advice, my H33 does not have any wires / power leading to the steel arch and I want to add 12v overhead, so I am thinking to use a drill to make a hole in portside locker in the middle of tube and then rod a cable up to another new hole in the same tube at the top somewhere. My question is has anyone else ever added power or routed a cable using this method or do they know if one of the tubes has a designated hole already in place to add a cable? I mean to add a light overhead or a speaker.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.........just need to know if one of these arch plates is already prepped with hole and which one it might be.......
Great question.........is your arch an original Hunter factory installation without wiring or an after market?

Jul 10, 2019
Thank you for the replies I am now going to look at the starboard side in aft cabin, as far as I know this very much a factory job, made in UK but identical to the USA boat in everyway. Many Thanks I will be looking tomorrow Saturday and see what I find, I cannot see any holes in the arch under the traveller track but if there is a hole in the starboard side forward leg then that is great :)

Jul 10, 2019
Well update I have a panel in aft cabin and on inspection the bottom of that forward arch foot plate is not drilled there appears to be part of the loom with a connector and 6 wires. So I guess I am going to have to drill up through the boat grp and into the tube. Thanks for replies and help. J

Attachments

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
So I guess I am going to have to drill up through the boat grp and into the tube.
Good luck jasonc33. Get some good drill bits and get comfy because I believe you will find the base of the arch tube is either 1/4” or thicker. Is there a bolt thru the base or is it secured by some other means? Regardless, give it a try and let us know how you make out.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
If I were a betting man, the arches horizontal mounting deck plate has a hole in it, the fiberglass its mounted to has not been drilled perhaps the backing plate doesn't have a hole in it, but could you not remove the backing plate by removing the bolt and then use a drill press to make your hole?

Jul 10, 2019
If I were a betting man, the arches horizontal mounting deck plate has a hole in it, the fiberglass its mounted to has not been drilled perhaps the backing plate doesn't have a hole in it, but could you not remove the backing plate by removing the bolt and then use a drill press to make your hole?

I had considered removing the arch, but it is quite a bit of work, involves removing the gas locker as well to get to the rear starboard arch leg. Thank you for all the replies I think with good drill bit it should be possible to make a hole without removing. Thanks again. J

Jul 10, 2019
Good luck jasonc33. Get some good drill bits and get comfy because I believe you will find the base of the arch tube is either 1/4” or thicker. Is there a bolt thru the base or is it secured by some other means? Regardless, give it a try and let us know how you make out.

I can measure from the four fixing bolts to locate exact centre of tube from aft cabin, then I hope with new colbolt drill make a hole, just do not want to make a problem, the good thing with fiberglass is it can always be filled and it is out of sight :)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I was not suggesting removing the arch, just the backing plate (if there is one) on the underside of the deck

Jul 10, 2019
I was not suggesting removing the arch, just the backing plate (if there is one) on the underside of the deck
Hi no backing plate ohter than the one outside on bottom of the leg, inside the cabin I remove the cover plate in picture to see the gel and the bolts coming through from the arch. Sorry if I have misunderstood something. J

Jul 10, 2019
Hi all, II did manage to drill up in the centre of the front starboard arch leg, it was hard going, but is done and I have 12v up there, the loom was also present just below the leg, I just joined up my 2 core to the 12v supply on that light circuit. Thanks to all :)

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hi all, II did manage to drill up in the centre of the front starboard arch leg, it was hard going, but is done and I have 12v up there, the loom was also present just below the leg, I just joined up my 2 core to the 12v supply on that light circuit. Thanks to all :)
Sorry I missed this thread earlier, could have saved you some time. You must not have the arch panel with light and 2 speakers? I used that race way to run the wires from the solar panel to the electrical panel above the chart table. If you're running wires, there are 1 1/2" PVC tubes that run to the chart table and from there to the v-berth. Also another under the galley floor.

Feel free to either private message me or tag me ( @Scott B ) in your post with any questions on the H33. We've had our 2005 for 14 years.