Lehr 2.5 propane outboard worth fixing?

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
We were gifted a Lehr 2.5hp that has a leaky fuel assembly (hose and connectors) and I have yet to start the engine to see if it runs. I can purchase a replacement fuel line on ebay for $50, but there may be other issues with the engine, and I’m not sure if it’s worth getting invested in it or not, especially as Lehr is out of business and there doesn’t seem to be much support for the engines anymore. Does anyone know if there’s a community of Lehr owners and/or any support for keeping these engines running? Is it worth opening the can of worms on this outboard, or better avoid the headache and just get something else?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Is it worth opening the can of worms on this outboard, or better avoid the headache and just get something else?
I got tired of dealing with the oil and gas issues on my 3hp Mercury outboard, not to mention having to rebuild the carb every year, so I switched to a Torqeedo electric. Granted, the propane is a step up from gas, but you still have the issue of storing propane cylinders on the boat, and maintaining the engine.
I see more and more Torqeedo's at anchorages, and most people seem very happy with them. Something to consider.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The propane part is the only stuff (think carburetor) installed by Lehr. The engine itself was made by Tohatsu IIRC.. The regulator and demand valves (carburetor) I think are normal parts that can be sourced once you have the part and model numbers from those items.. A gear head buddy could help .. Ohh the cover with the little relief for the 1# propane bottle is a Lehr part as well..
Gear Review: Lehr 2.5hp Propane Outboard - Sail Magazine
There was some discussion on the forum a while back including some issues with propane contaminates that tended to foul the propane controls..

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
The fuel line/tank connector/hose has been an issue on the lehr but it's a good engine - we replaced our fuel hose assy when it leaked - if you can get one it's worth fixing. runs and starts well. after switching to the lehr on our dinghy we'll never go back to gas. The engine wasn't made by tohatsu, made by a chinese company....Tohatsu makes really nice propane engines - liked the lehr's performance so much we bought a tohatsu 5hp for the 216

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I didn’t know they‘re out of business…….A very nice gift, I might add. I have a friend who has one of the first year model of 2.5 HP Lehr. He had an issue with a fuel line leak also.
He took his to a local propane distributor who replaced the line, a fitting and a seal all for a little over $55. Worked great ever since.
I would suggest you try to find a local “propane supplier” to homes etc. and let them take a look at it. They have the small parts needed.
Aside from support of the engine itself. The fuel source is the only variable in this. All outboards will require the oil, grease and normal winter storage rituals.
You have a nice engine there. I would put the time and effort into it. But I would go local first.

Feb 16, 2021
He took his to a local propane distributor who replaced the line, a fitting and a seal all for a little over $55. Worked great ever since.
I would suggest you try to find a local “propane supplier” to homes etc. and let them take a look at it. They have the small parts needed.
I did already stop by Vanderyacht in in Lynden, WA, and they said they couldn't help me with fabricating a fuel line solution. Good to know your friend was able to get a solution fabricated, it was my preferred route as it seems the OEM fuel line has issues. I already ordered the replacement, but still don't like that it's the OEM. I will check with other propane suppliers in the area and see if they can put something together.

Sep 26, 2008
I'm sorry to hear that. But it was worth the thought.
I was going to replace my Mercury 3.5 with a Lehr, mainly because of the constant rebuilding due to ethanol.
So now I use TruFuel and every other tank or so I use 50:1 oil mixed regular gas for a tank full. TruFuel is expensive but worth it in aggregation costs.
TruFuel is what Amoco White Gas was in the 60's. But it did a number on the valve stems and seats in engines so you had to use leaded gas every other tank to coat the stems and prevent their wear.
I guess I just dated myself.
You'll have a great engine once the new part comes in. From what I see of them where I am, they are very dependable and clean.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I had two friends with Lehr outboards. Neither was thrilled with the quality and both sold them.

Gasoline is really not a problem if you manage the fuel and use a good additive. The only carbs I've cleaned in the past 15 years were other peoples' or new-to-me motors that needed ONE good cleaning to set them right for life.
  • Keep the vent closed when not actually running. Keeps the water vapor and rain splash out. Dry fuel mean no separation or corrosion (bowl corrosion causes the clogs these days, not gum).
  • Use a good additive. Merc, Biobor EB, Stabil 360.
  • Run the gas out in the winter.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'm sorry to hear that. But it was worth the thought.
I was going to replace my Mercury 3.5 with a Lehr, mainly because of the constant rebuilding due to ethanol.
So now I use TruFuel and every other tank or so I use 50:1 oil mixed regular gas for a tank full. TruFuel is expensive but worth it in aggregation costs.
TruFuel is what Amoco White Gas was in the 60's. But it did a number on the valve stems and seats in engines so you had to use leaded gas every other tank to coat the stems and prevent their wear.
I guess I just dated myself.
You'll have a great engine once the new part comes in. From what I see of them where I am, they are very dependable and clean.
Ethanol free gas works very well in engines with carbs, but it can be hard to find. We use it exclusively in our yard equipment here in Hawaii, and have had no problems. Fortunately, we have several gas stations with ethanol free gas within a few miles of our house here, but in Massachusetts, I had to search to find one near my yacht club.

Feb 16, 2021
Well, it's going to take until the end of June for me to receive the replacement fuel hose. Hopefully that does the trick. I will report back then.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Sorry, I didn't see this post earlier. I've got an almost complete 2.5 sitting in my yard - puked it's oil out the intake, so it's got a headgasket or valve problem.
I do have the fuel line/"carb" etc. Free to a good home. Heck, the entire engine is free to a good home particularly in SoCal.

(When it ran I liked it. I did not like it as it was puking oil all over Newport Harbor.)

Sep 26, 2008
Jeepbluej,
I have been speaking with “skunther” (the author of this thread) through the PM feature here. He would be very glad to hear from you if my last conversation with him is any indication.
Try reaching out to him through a personal message and see.
It’s odd you just posted this and we just emailed each other. Strange things happen.

Feb 16, 2021
Thanks @jeepbluetj, parts received and I now have a running Lehr!
Draining the oil now. Not sure what else I should do for basic maintenance at this point. The engine is very clean appears to have seen very little use. The cooling system appears to work.

Any advice regarding other preemptive maintenance tasks I should handle before taking it out for a test drive? I don’t want to break it right after getting it running. Seems folks really like these engines when they work. I suppose I should change the gear oil as well. Spark plug appears to be in like new condition.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
The dead one I took apart was very corroded. The aluminum where the thermostat was was totally a powder. So I'd guess their metallurgy wasn't all that great. The lower unit is now seized (so it's worthless).

Of course, since my old one died while it was running in salt water I never flushed it.

So I'd say fresh water flush often. Use it till it dies. Don't spend much to fix it.