Need a clean SS cut

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have some new stainless steel tube, 7/8" diameter, 0-065" wall thickness arriving from Go2Marine shortly. I need to cut it in half for my bimini. SS is pretty tough metal. What would you all use? I want a good, clean cut. I'm not sure my copper pipe cutter is up to the task. Hacksaws are barbaric but is that my only option? The tube is straight, no curves.

image_18129.jpg

Jul 6, 2010
Catalina 30 Bainbridge Island, WA
I have some new stainless steel tube, 7/8" diameter, 0-065" wall thickness arriving from Go2Marine shortly. I need to cut it in half for my bimini. SS is pretty tough metal. What would you all use? I want a good, clean cut. I'm not sure my copper pipe cutter is up to the task. Hacksaws are barbaric but is that my only option? The tube is straight, no curves.

View attachment 193941
Do you have access to a band saw with a fine tooth metal blade?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Do you have access to a band saw with a fine tooth metal blade?
I do have a Delta bandsaw but I've never had much luck using it. The guide doesn't want to keep the blade straight. Operator error no doubt. I think it has a wood blade right now

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Use a good quality pipe cutter - I use this one, makes a nice clean cut, once you try it you'll never use anything else:
I didn't even know they made one for SS :thumbup:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I didn't even know they made one for SS :thumbup:
Use a good quality pipe cutter designed for S.S. - I use this one, makes a nice clean cut, once you try it you'll never use anything else:
Yep, that's the one I use and then clean up the edge with a Dremel tool and grinding cone.

BTW lengths of SS tubing can be purchased from canvass shops. They buy it in 20' lengths and it comes on tractor trailers. Online suppliers are limited to 8' or less and with shipping costs increasing as the length increases.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Maybe you shpould look in a commercial plumbing supply shop? I Use a Blue Point TC 150 tubing cutter, and it MUST be what the pros use. I think I got it at BaconSails.com . USED. If your tubing ends will have a connector of some type on the ends, the cuts need not be perfectly square. I agree that they do not make cutters just for SS- they are strong enough to handle ANYTHING.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Like a chop saw with a grinder wheel? I've seem 'em. I have a 12" DeWault but it's strictly for wood.
Maybe I need a new tool!
The suggesting for a pipe cutter is good. That will work.

But yes, every DIY sailor needs a 5-inch angle grinder (for the cut-off wheel). After a cordless drill and orbital sander, it is probably the most useful power tool you can own. Cut-off wheels make short work of chain, bolts, and plate, and pipe. Sanding disks, from coarse to fine, are vital for fibergass work, as well as metal finishing and wood working. Wire brushes (plain and cup) are unbeatable for gross rust removal. And more than any other tool, safety glasses are vital. I prefer the corded version (more power, lighter). Get a good one, you will use it your whole life, including around the house (very handy for sharpening mower blades).

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
You can put a diamond blade in your angle grinder/chop saw and it will make a lovely clean cut. The above mentioned pipe cutters are excellent, but you can actually make a cleaner cut with a diamond saw. Depends upon what tools you have, and what tools you may wish to buy.

dj

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
The pipe cutter is your best idea, I have used it well in th east. Also, stainless steel is actually not that tough to saw through, It is actually relatively soft for steel. The biggest issue is not to heat it too much, if it gets too hot, it will lose the “stainless” property and can rust.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Before I retired, I was a pro boat builder/ reburbisher. I had THREE angle grinders in the shop. One always had a cutout wheel, one had a flap sander and the third had a grinding disc setup. Having three saved me time changing things around as needed

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
you can use a new regular pipe cutter for the normal thickness tubes. It works fine. I would put some masking tape around the area to keep the scuffing to a minuim.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You can put a metal cutting blade in a table saw, miter saw, tile cutting saw. I prefer to use a metal cutting blade in the miter saw, as the pipe does not have to move as you pull the blade down. (Chop Saw).

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I used a metal blade with my miter saw for cutting tubing for my solar panels. The tubing wants to slide along the back during the cut so adding tape reduces this. For small tubing I’ve used metal blades in a saw all for quick work. Recently to cut stainless bolts I used my dremmel oscillating multi tool, again using a metal blade. Hamilton Marine had the tubing in 8 foot lengths, but I’ve gotten smaller specialty tubing from McMaster-carr and on-line metal.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
All of these work but a pipe cutter is the most correct answer
:plus::beer:

When I was trimming my binnacle guard, I started with a hacksaw. Then a fellow on the dock handed me a pipe cutter. It was so smooth and simple to get clean even cuts. It felt like cheating.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks for all the tips folks. I ordered a SS tube cutter on Amazon. My tubing arrived this weekend. It's part of the stern rail telescoping "back strut" for my bimini. Since I modified the framework so that the bimini can now be closed and covered. the adjustable struts need to be a little longer.
20200626_112859_resized_1.jpg