H31 Where is the Y-valve mounted?

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
I'm located on the Chesapeake Bay and ejecting sewage into the water is illegal. So when I replaced the head and hoses in 2012 I deleted the overboard plumbing but I still have the overboard seacock in place. Now I'm getting the boat ready for sale and am reinstalling the original head configuration. But I don't remember where the Y-valve was mounted and I can't find any mounting holes. Help?

Thanks.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
In my 1983 model, it was under the sink and tucked slightly to starboard. It was halfway between the "cabinet" wall (on the toilet side) and the "back" wall, which was really the bulkhead to the V-berth compartment.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I wouldn't restore the system to "factory settings." If the buyer turns out to be in any waters where it's illegal to discharge overboard, he'd just have to remove 'em...if turns out be be in waters where he can use overboard toilet and/or tank discharge, he may want to configure things entirely differently.

So my advice: Do only two things: Replace the hoses. Because rubber and plastics dry out over time, becoming hard, brittle and prone to cracking and splitting, 10 years is the average working life of any hose and yours are on the cusp of that. If the toilet is a Jabscomanual, replace the pump assembly--it's easier than rebuilding it and only costs about 20% more than the kit. If it's a macerating electric toilet make sure it's in perfect working order. If it's a Jabsco, it might even be worth the $150 to replace the pump motor assembly.

You'll spend a bit more than the cost of a y-valve, but to a buyer all new hoses and a "new" toilet pump assembly on an older boat isn't something they're likely to find on any other boat and should be worth a bit more than you'll get without 'em 'cuz it's one system that won't cost them any money for a few years, So I think you'll get most of it back.

--Peggie

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
There was no Y-valve originally on the H-31.. The link above (post #3) has the original plumbing diagram.. The original configuration was such that all head waste went to the holding tank then you had the option of pumping it overboard with a manual diaphragm pump or pumping the tank out through the deck plate at a pump out station..

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
In my 1983 model, it was under the sink and tucked slightly to starboard. It was halfway between the "cabinet" wall (on the toilet side) and the "back" wall, which was really the bulkhead to the V-berth compartment.
+1