Winch removal

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Once again, confirmation that GM 5200 is the Devil’s glue! I think dlochner has the best plan; Marine Debond, a razor blade and patience. Use brute force and you may end up with a fiberglass repair before the 5200 gives up.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
You basically have 3 choices. Blunt force which risks trauma to the boat, @dlochner method or abandon the project.
I’d go with Dave’s method. Unless they are recessed there is a gap there, however small. I’d apply some Debond and work at it with a brass hammer hitting a couple of 1” putty knifes.
With no visible gap you’ll probably have some gel coat damage until you start opening the gap.
A tedious project for sure.

Nov 17, 2018
Wauquiez Pretorien Washington
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Wow! For $2300.+ I can buy a lot of other things for my boat.
But not an electric winch. ;)

I also paid less than $2300, bought from Binnacle.com a Canadian version of Defender. We're taking a year long sailing trip this year, I anticipate hoisting my heavy main some 200 times over the course of the year. As a per hoist cost, the price is much lower and it removes one of the obstacle to wanting to go for a quick sail.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Other options

Jan 11, 2014
I did look at those other options and there is one new to the market from Australia. John Haries from Attainable Adventure Cruising did an extensive review of the eWincher and bought one. I trust his opinion.

Since I bought this last fall, it is has not been possible to try it on the boat, however, I did try using it on a extra winch I have. It works as advertised. Unlike the other options, the eWincher can be used as a standard (albeit large) winch handle and the torque developed is easily managed. I"m certain my wife could use it and the winches to haul my butt out of the water if necessary, not certain about the other options.

The current price at Binnacle is $2K USD with a spare battery.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I did look at those other options and there is one new to the market from Australia. John Haries from Attainable Adventure Cruising did an extensive review of the eWincher and bought one. I trust his opinion.

Since I bought this last fall, it is has not been possible to try it on the boat, however, I did try using it on a extra winch I have. It works as advertised. Unlike the other options, the eWincher can be used as a standard (albeit large) winch handle and the torque developed is easily managed. I"m certain my wife could use it and the winches to haul my butt out of the water if necessary, not certain about the other options.

The current price at Binnacle is $2K USD with a spare battery.

To your knowledge, is there a significant difference between the eWincher1 and eWincher2?

Jan 11, 2014
To your knowledge, is there a significant difference between the eWincher1 and eWincher2?
Looks like a little faster, energy efficient, and more powerful. With the new eWincher2 coming out, it explains why Binacle is offering the extra battery for free.