Flexible Solar Panel on Bimini - Backing?

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
I am planning to install two Renogy 175 watt flexible solar panels on my bimini this summer. After numerous detailed conversations with several local canvas professionals and marine electronic professionals, the consensus is that I should keep it simple for the first few months if not the first entire season. By simple, they are suggesting that I stick with bungee cords to make it simple to remove the panels for various reasons (high wind events, extended periods at dock, etc.).

My question, what are the group's recommendations to mitigate chafe under the panels? I have seen references to a variety of fabrics and liners but am uncertain right now about the best options ... thoughts?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
Sailrite has a decent how - to video on attaching a flexible solar panel. Backing matl. for chafe ,matl. list and details.
I am planning on the install myself in the near future.

May 28, 2015
Sailrite has a decent how - to video on attaching a flexible solar panel. Backing matl. for chafe ,matl. list and details.
I am planning on the install myself in the near future.
I watched that video. The Shelter-Rite intrigued me but I wasn't sure whether I should buy enough to have a full sheet under each panel and have about 1 inch extra on each side.

I thought about cutting holes at the grommets to allow the bungee cord to go through both the Shelter-Rite and the Panel's grommets.

Finally, was wondering whether I should use adhesive and actually attach the panel to the Shelter-Rite.

Figured others were thinking through similar things ... I'm concerned about both chafe and heat buildup and would like to mitigate both. Renogy indicated that heat wasn't an issue.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
dlochner, thank you for posting the Solbian how to. I saw that a while back and could not locate where I had seen it ! I like the velco details.
Sailrite does not use that detail and I am a little leary of snaps only.
Adhesive I think.. would cause heat buildup and ruin the bimini surface forever if the adhesive was also used on that. Just my thoughts in researching the install. Doing the same homework....
The bungee would work for a while but not UV tolerant, might last a season ?.

May 28, 2015
Here's another option.

Dave - I read Maine Sail's article and it prompted me to have the conversation with Renogy regarding fires, the bimini support, etc. It also spurred several of the extended conversations with local expertise in canvas and electronics. Most of the folks here have done one season with the flexible panels via bungee cords and prepared to replace their bimini ... and then with the new bimini they have had it designed to accomodate the panels. In my case I probably have another 5 years with my bimini so I want to protect it properly but as I posted, the consensus is to use the bungee cords. Hence my questions on backing to mitigate chafing and heat the best I can.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The bungee would work for a while but not UV tolerant, might last a season ?.
Get UV resistant bungee cord. Here's one source, I'm sure there are others...

dj

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I planned on installing 4 100W panels but Covid shut down my canvas shop who is now pretty backed up. I was originally going to sew velcro but saw this install which I think looks very clean and I like the idea of the wiring under. It also provides an air gap for heat. I was thinking of using a Gemini mount on the Bimini frame for mounting the aluminum grid and using Loxx fitting on the actual panels so they can be removed easily and stowed below for bad weather.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
We used 3M dual lock on our panels the last couple of years. My wife sewed the non stick dual lock to the bimini fabric and we used the self adhesive type on the panels. It worked well. We're having all new canvas installed on the boat this year, and our canvas guy is using zippers for the new canvas (like was pictured a few posts above).

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I attach1/4" thick clear twin-wall polycarbonate panels to the back of the flexible panels. You can get these at Home Depot. These are used for green house windows. They are extremely light and are almost invisible under the panel. I attached the panel to the polycarbonate using 1" bits of 3M VHB tape. The polycarbonate is flexible enough to follow the curve of the bimini but stiff enough to protect the flexible panel from flexing too much. This also insulates the bimini fabric from the hot panel. With the polycarbonate you can also run the panels across the bimini bows.

I sewed little sunbrella loops to the bimini and then simply tie the panel to the loops with thin dyneema cord. I've had no problem with the panels lifting in the wind. They just lie there even in 40knot winds. Also no visible chafe in three years on the sunbrella - which makes sense as the polycarbonate is very smooth (I did wrap chafe tape along the edges). If I need to take the bimini off for a storm, I just cut the cord, store the panels, and then retie with new cord after the storm (BTW, install some form of wire connector so you can put your panels below during a storm).

Be extremely careful handing the flexible panels. Don't let them "flop" around when installing. Bending one just a little too much will break a solder joint inside rendering it useless.

Also, be sure you have a good warranty for your panels (Renogy does well) and that you have an easy way to take a panel off to send back for a warranty replacement. About half of these panels fail in two years - especially in Florida and southern areas.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Here's another option.

I've installed a Solbian per their directions and the setup worked so well I have four panels installed on Escape the same way ; you need to be able to sew. We sewed a velcro strip in a rectangle to match the bottom of the panel on the bimini; the mating strip, with adhesive, goes on the bottom of the panel. we then made a flap rectangle out of sunbrella and sewed it onto the bimini with the opposite velcro so the flap, without the solar panel, can be closed. The mating velcro (adhesive) goes on the top of the panel. Be careful that the top flap does not cover part of the cells. To install, open the flaps, place the panel on the bimini, then fold over the top flaps so they stick to the top velcro. very secure, but easy to remove the panel for storage or service