Replacing prop shaft

Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
I'm sure this must have been addressed previously. I need to replace the shaft. Looks like the rudder has to be dropped. Do I really need to get out the pick and shovel?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
As Curt mentioned, this topic has been discussed. If City Island is anything like the Boston area, you will need a couple of sticks of dynamite to dig deep enough to drop the rudder. It might be possible to hire a Travel Lift to pick up the boat.

Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
Thank you Curt and Tom. I'm still a little confused why some could slide it in past the rudder and others couldn't. Every boat is different I guess. We do have a crane to lift with but I would have to wait for a bunch of boats to be launched in order to get to me. It will not be an easy dig so I will have to consider the lifting the engine option too. Are there any related issues dropping and reinstalling the rudder that I (hired hand) should be aware of?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Had a friend who owned a Catalina 350 (2004). I you push hard enough against the rudder, there should be enough deflection to allow the shaft to slide out. Others have also suggested removing the cutlass bearing, first, that will allow more lateral positioning of the shaft to allow it to clear the rudder. No digging involved!

Last edited:

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
i lifted the motor to get the shaft out the other way into the cabin. i do believe if i took the cutlass out, i would have been able to get it past the rudder though.. i was replacing the engine mounts anyway so did it as part of that activity.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Just read a post on the C310 Facebook page from someone in Australia who says removing the cutlass bearing makes it possible to remove the shaft without dropping the rudder. Plus you get a new cutlass bearing as part of the deal!

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Is it in a yard with a lift? I would arrange to have the boat picked up. If it were on a trailer I would back it up to a place where I had clearance. If it were just a few inches I might dig.