Worth a look...or just run away

Feb 27, 2021
O'Day 30 Wilmington
OK, so my wife and I are in the early stages of looking for a boat. It is likely a couple of years away, unless we come across a really good deal. So, today I came across an add for a1983 O'Day 28. Because of travel plans (new grandbaby to meet) we can't even think about seeing the boat for at least 2 weeks.

We are wanting something that we can spend the weekend on and maybe a week's vacation now and then. I have in mind that 30 to 34 foot is the range I want to look at, but came across this O'Day on Craigslist. At first glance the pictures look good...I believe the layout and space would be suitable. The seller has been upfront that this boat has sat for 5 years...so there are certainly some things to check out. He mentioned, in an email exchange, that there are some minor leaks around the handrails and that it needs a new cutlass bearing. OK, those things don't automatically make me want to run away...at his list price, and hoping to maybe get it a little lower, it is worth all of that.

But then I pulled up the photos on my computer rather than my phone. It looks to me like there are marks/lines indicating standing water. Assuming engine works, as he says it does, how concerned should I be with this? Are there some specific things/places to look for hidden damage?

Or, despite an asking price of $4,900 is this simply something to run away from as quickly as possible? Certainly before purchasing we would do a survey. But is it even worth going that far?

Attachments

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If you want a 30 to 34, stay with that plan. Don't look and say, hey, this is cheaper. You will not be happy in the long run. You and your wife have your heart set. Wait a little longer and get what you really want.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
If there was standing water then the boat was partially submerged with subsequent engine damage otherwise just water leak from rain. I came across the same situation (water leaks from a companionway door and 3 windows) and purchased the boat on the basis it was deferred maintenance that I could easily repair with the help of a contractor .......now the boat looks new inside.

That is a very reasonable price for a 1983 O'Day 28. Recommend a hull survey, sea trial to test the the engine functionality and check the fluids, and inspect the electrical (might require an electrician to spend an hour), standing rigging and sails. The once you purchase the boat perform an engine maintenance, replace the tired running rigging, clean/buff/wax/polish and she will feel/look new.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The boat does look kind of beat up. So that may be reflected in the price.

Remember, all boat projects take longer than expected and cost more than expected, factor this into your decision making.

If the boat is nearby, go take a look at it. If you don't have a lot of experience with boats, look at a lot of them. This is the only way you will get a feel for what is in the market and its value.

Be honest with the seller about your intentions and concerns, it is only fair.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks like water was in the boat for enough time to leave a pretty wide water line. Could have been a boat that was damaged in one of the hurricanes that came through NC. That is the type of water deluge that can fill a boat.

I am with Brian. If you need the 34ft space, you will soon become unsatisfied with a 28 ft boat.

Think of it like a pickup. You want the full bed but you see a "low priced" mini bed pickup. So you say WOW that is a deal and you buy it. Now every time you go to get a sheet of plywood, you cuss your self out for buying the small bed pick up and having to cut the boards in half to get them in the truck.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The 28 is a nice boat. Big for its size, and probably big enough for they time you’re talking about spending on it. I spent lots of weekends and longer sailing on one with my parents.

This one, on the other hand, doesn’t look great. That water line is very close to the bottom of the engine, and the rest of it also looks pretty worn. Also, if the handrails were leaking for any length of time the core under them is probably rotten, making the repairs there a bigger project.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
The boat will likely meet your needs size wise, these are roomy for their length and good sailing boats.

Handrail leak however gives me a big big pause. Is that what let in the water over the 5 years it sat? The deck on that is balsa cored (please correct me if I am wrong). If it were me, I would add cost of re-coring a significant amount of the deck to the sales price and if it were still a number I was comfortable with, I would pay for a survey.

I personally would not pay for a survey at that asking price, but that could be different for you if you plan on doing all the work yourself and find it satisfying. In my experience it is always more cost effective to spend more on a boat that does not need any major repairs vs buying a cheaper one that does. Small stuff is different (cutlas bearing, standing rigging, seacocks, a little wiring, but of paint etc.) Also an O’day 28 won’t get you back your investment in that repair if you decide to change later.

Good luck on the hunt!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Since you're not really ready to buy, I think you should spend a year learning the market. After a while you'll pretty much know what's out there and how much you should pay. Do a spreadsheet if necessary. There's no reason to buy a questionable boat. If there is a water line in the cabin, move on. There's nothing good about that.

May 17, 2004
To give you some idea on the 28, here’s a video from a YouTube channel I just happened to come across the other day -
That should give you some idea of the size. They said they got theirs for $9500, and it looks to be in quite good shape.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I owned an O’Day 28 some years ago. My wife and 2 small children. The boat was great and sailed well. Quite roomy given it’s fairly large beam. I am very pragmatic and know every boat is full of compromises and even with the compromises we did love this boat.
Some things to watch out for or consider.
- the engine options on that boat were a 1 cylinder diesel or there was an OMC sail drive that was 30 hp. We had the sail drive and it was adequately powered but the negative was it was a 2 cycle that required mixing gas and oil. We had lots of issues with fouling and had to change plugs every other tank of gas. The1 cylinder is so grossly underpowered you its a struggle to make way in a head wind.
- there was no water heater on the boat. When we needed hot water we heated a bowl of it in the microwave.
- standard stove was an alcohol stove. We knew too many people who had alcohol fires so we did not use it.
- the two kids slept in the V berth which meant my wife and I slept on the settees in the main cabin. This meant we had to disassemble the cabin every night to go to bed.
- there was only an ice box so we were regularly hauling ice to keep the food cold.
- the companionway stairs come down on the galley counter and this tracks a lot of dirt into where you are fixing food.
- The boat did sail well and we experienced some rough seas at times and it handled them just fine. We did add a roller furler for the head sail and that was a great add.
After a couple of years a Catalina 34 came into our life and we loved having hot and cold running water, refrigeration and a bed for us that didn’t require dismantling the cabin every night. The diesel was a real plus as well.

May 17, 2004
I owned an O’Day 28 some years ago. My wife and 2 small children. The boat was great and sailed well. Quite roomy given it’s fairly large beam. I am very pragmatic and know every boat is full of compromises and even with the compromises we did love this boat.
Some things to watch out for or consider.
- the engine options on that boat were a 1 cylinder diesel or there was an OMC sail drive that was 30 hp. We had the sail drive and it was adequately powered but the negative was it was a 2 cycle that required mixing gas and oil. We had lots of issues with fouling and had to change plugs every other tank of gas. The1 cylinder is so grossly underpowered you its a struggle to make way in a head wind.
- there was no water heater on the boat. When we needed hot water we heated a bowl of it in the microwave.
- standard stove was an alcohol stove. We knew too many people who had alcohol fires so we did not use it.
- the two kids slept in the V berth which meant my wife and I slept on the settees in the main cabin. This meant we had to disassemble the cabin every night to go to bed.
- there was only an ice box so we were regularly hauling ice to keep the food cold.
- the companionway stairs come down on the galley counter and this tracks a lot of dirt into where you are fixing food.
- The boat did sail well and we experienced some rough seas at times and it handled them just fine. We did add a roller furler for the head sail and that was a great add.
After a couple of years a Catalina 34 came into our life and we loved having hot and cold running water, refrigeration and a bed for us that didn’t require dismantling the cabin every night. The diesel was a real plus as well.
Good points.

There were a few changes to the model over the years that fixed a couple of the things you mentioned. By 83 I think they were using the 2 cylinder Universal M-12, which had adequate power. They also added a proper companionway ladder so there was no need to step on the counter anymore (although you’re still stepping above it, so that’s not a great place to keep food when people are going up or down anyway. Hot water is listed as an option in the ‘85 brochure; not sure what it was in 83.

In any case I agree with shemandr. No need at this point to rush into this particular boat given the time you have for further research and this one’s iffy status.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
An Oday 28 would be a fine choice for your needs - but this one is suited for someone who has lots of experience fixing up boats.

For your first boat don't even look for boats with a surprisingly low price - there's usually a reason. Instead find a boat that is in better than average shape - hopefully with an owner who has meticulously cared for her. Yes this will cost a little more but you'll save two times the extra price in lower repair costs during the first 12 months of ownership.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
On ANY boat, beware of videos and photos using wide angle lenses. They will make the product look much bigger than it really is. It is all about perspective.

Feb 27, 2021
O'Day 30 Wilmington
Thanks everyone! You have both confirmed my gut feeling and given good advice. We will relax and not rush in to our reentry into sailing. I know, and I appreciate the reminder, that in my woodworking shop settling for something typically leads to some buyers remorse. Maybe I can get connected with someone in the Little River-Wilmington area that needs some crew every now and then! :)

I really appreciate having a place like this to get support, information, ideas, and help. Thanks again!

Nov 25, 2018
Oday 28 Wiscasset, ME
Good comments already. I have a 1985 O’day 28 now. I paid $15k three years ago. It was in much better shape than that one. I probably overpaid by $1-2k but didn’t mind, it was local and I wanted the boat. Mine had furling Genoa, newer engine, semi-working autopilot and was dry with a good survey. I have put a ton into it and am selling it after this season, and expect to get $10k. If you want an O’day 28, find a better one, get a survey, and pay $9-11k, that is the market for these. I have seen shot ones on Facebook for $3k. If you buy that $4900 boat you will end up spending at LEAST $5k fixing/adding stuff. Probably more.

That boat looks shot, honestly. The water marks on the walls in your pictures are probably old leaks from the mast or ports, which is fixable, no big deal. The marks on the floor are a concern, but can’t say if it is a big or small one without a survey. Might be old news. Question is does it still leak, where, and is the hull dry? If it’s wet, hello Facebook, and you are probably screwed. The other question for me would be is it the original engine? If so, pass. The Universals in particular were underpowered and now nearly 40 yrs old. Mine has a 25yr old yanmar 30 which is great. But even that is getting a bit old.

For me it has been a great first keelboat. Huge interior. Great for a weekend, not for a week IMHO. It’s a Chevy, not a Lexus. Darn good sailer. In 15-20kts I go 6kts reaching quite often. Very maneuverable, turns on a dime. They do tend to round up, and it is a pain getting to the traveler from the helm. I have been caught in over 25kts of wind and didn’t like it. 3ft seas all the time; 5ft, no thanks. I do not go offshore or even terribly far in this boat. I consider it on par with similar sized 80s catalinas I have sailed, but maybe a little better built. Great boat to learn on, both sailing and fixing. I have torn this boat apart, drilled, cut, patched, replaced with reckless abandon. This is the good thing about starting with a cheap boat. i have screwed up a lot of stuff and had to redo it. Who cares? I‘ll spend $80-100k on the next boat, won’t want to screw it up, and I have a lot more skill now than I would have.

PS: I use the alcohol stove all the time, these are the non pressurized origo 4000 stoves, which are not dangerous like pressurized alcohol stoves. Cheap to run, reliable, a heck of a lot safer than propane. Not as hot but works. Also mine did have a factory hot water heater. It is 36ys old and shot, replacing now.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
I paid $15k three years ago. It was in much better shape than that one. I probably overpaid by $1-2k but didn’t mind, it was local and I wanted the boat.
This is a good point. When considering the cost of a boat purchase, it is important to consider the costs associated with finding the boat. It is quite easy to spend several hundred dollars on transportation, lodging, and meal when shopping. After purchasing, there is the cost of getting it home.

Paying a little above market price for a boat near home may ultimately be cheaper than a below market price boat several hundred miles away.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I like working on boats. Having said that, if I was buying again I would spend a lot more than I could afford in ready cash and take a loan out to get a more desirable boat. When you consider your yearly costs of boat ownership, including maintenance, dockage, winter storage, shrinkwrap, insurance, surveys, upgrades, and the like, a monthly mortgage payment will hardly be noticed. I suggest getting exactly what you want in a ready to go condition. Otherwise you may spend years upgrading your bargain boat to get it to the state that you will be happy with. Someone in their thirties might buy the bargain boat and dedicate a decade or more to bringing the bargain boat back to life. Is that you?

Jan 11, 2014
I like working on boats. Having said that, if I was buying again I would spend a lot more than I could afford in ready cash and take a loan out to get a more desirable boat. When you consider your yearly costs of boat ownership, including maintenance, dockage, winter storage, shrinkwrap, insurance, surveys, upgrades, and the like, a monthly mortgage payment will hardly be noticed. I suggest getting exactly what you want in a ready to go condition. Otherwise you may spend years upgrading your bargain boat to get it to the state that you will be happy with. Someone in their thirties might buy the bargain boat and dedicate a decade or more to bringing the bargain boat back to life. Is that you?
I've taken a slightly different approach. In the past I took a look at 2 real fixer uppers, actually owned one for a short time, and opted to not go that route. My current boat was one that was in sailaway condition with a few minor issues, hoses and v-belts, and in need of some TLC and a lot of elbow grease. The price was well below similar boats on the market.

It also needed some systems upgrades including instruments, running and standing rigging, DC system etc. These could be completed as time and money allowed and seldom interfered with sailing. Over the years with upgrades I now have a boat equipped the way I want it equipped and did not pay for some else's idea of an ideal boat.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'm not going to comment on this specific boat, others above have both done a good job and have more direct knowledge of this boat than I do. But rather I'm going to comment on how you are going about your boat search. In your price range (at least what you've stated above) I'd highly recommend you begin understanding how to look for moisture in boats. Read through this link to one of @Maine Sail 's very informative blurbs.

This will help you assess these low cost sailboats for moisture problems so that you don't have to go get a survey every time. If you look at 2 boats before you buy where this has identified problems, you'll have more than paid for this ....

dj

Last edited: