Managing the Mal de Mer?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Not seen it here on the West Coast yet but will keep my eyes open. Could save a trip to UK
Ah, I'd never pass up a trip to the UK unless i had to... LOL

I bought it in Port Dover, north coast of Lake Erie. There was a regatta going on, perhaps they had brought some in just for that. No idea. For sure, the best stuff I've ever used...

dj

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We thought a big tin of soda bicuits was really handy one time we had to beat up Massachusetts Bay to Maine. Had a few left when we arrived at Tennant's Harbor, but not many.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Good discussion and very informative. Thanks for raising the topic.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Never Never let them go below...
This is a view I take issue with. Go below, lie down, eyes closed, etc. Why is this not a good response/remedy? They are not helpful on deck if frozen in place like a statue (and in the way), eyes fixed forward. Sailors/crew, at least, who cannot go below for fear of seasickness can be a problem. On long trips underway they can’t share the galley tasks, etc. They are going to be sick, technically, wherever they be on the boat. It’s only a matter/question of heaving which governs where to be. Provide the bag/bucket for below. (I know some people swear by it; staying above. But if one cannot go below, s/he is basically sick already.)

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
all your assumptions are incorrect. you are making up theories with incorrect assumptions.
fact: going below makes you sick
laying down, makes you sick.
loosing sense of horizon makes you sick.
stale air makes you sick

it is called motion sickness for a reason. so stop the motion of the persons head. like absorbing mogels on the ski hill. anticipate the change and have your knees bent. keep your head steady

just thinking about it makes it worse so try and change their thoughts.

prolly the best remedy is helming the boat. with wind in your face. while listening to your favorite music (not with head phones).
do what i listed. add to the list things like drop your dodger. drop your side curtains. drop your bimini.
a lot of times you can cure seasickness if you follow my list.

stand, bend the knees, absorb the ships motion, get the head/inner ear stable. calm your mind. suck on ginger.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I use ginger capsules, and the Reliefband. I was a skeptic on the reliefband until I tried it in big seas in the Atlantic (May 2018 on the edge of Tropical Storm Alberto, in 30+ knot winds).

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I keep peanutbutter cheese nab crackers aboard. IF a guest starts talking about getting sick before we leave the dock I'll toss them a package or too...The salt makes them thirsty... so I'll toss them a bottle of water.. It's not always inner ear but BETWEEN the ears.. Keeping their mind off the subject and the stomach from sloshing as always worked for me..

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It's not always inner ear but BETWEEN the ears.. Keeping their mind off the subject...
I think some truth there. Early in my days of going to sea on larger craft, in my 20’s, I had brushes with seasickness and “feared” it somewhat. I used to take Marezine often before departing landslide. But I also remember warding it off when working on deck, doing something that focused my mind, etc. Over the 30 plus years of recreational boating it, the mal de mer, has largely ceased except for an occasional headache. Still, for me, lying down somewhere with eyes closed if even on a hard steel deck was better resistance than trying to sit up and watch the horizon, etc.:doh: Yet I’ve seen others confined to their racks for days w/o recovery.

Last edited:

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
You can get Stugeron here. It takes about a month for the pills to arrive so order early.

I take one pill at bedtime the night before leaving. One when waking up. And another if it's rough early. Then one every 8 hours. My wife takes half that dose or it makes her too tired. These are the over-the-counter 15mg does. Very safe. It's made by a subsidiary of US drug maker Johnson and Johnson. Do not overdose as it can cause lots of problems.

I have a friend who swears by the "earplug" cure. Put a standard night time earplug in you non-dominant ear (if you are right handed put it in your left ear).

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
I think some truth there. Early in my days of going to sea on larger craft, in my 20’s, I had brushes with seasickness and “feared” it somewhat. I used to take Marezine often before departing landslide. But I also remember warding it off when working on deck, doing something that focused my mind, etc. Over the 30 plus years of recreational boating it, the mal de mer, has largely ceased except for an occasional headache. Still, for me, lying down somewhere with eyes closed if even on a hard steel deck was better resistance than trying to sit up and watch the horizon, etc.:doh: Yet I’ve seen others confined to their racks for days w/o recovery.
there is a huge psychosomatic factor for sure. how that works no body knows. i do believe that you can 'will' your cure if strong minded. i do understand what you are saying and how it works for you.
seasickness is awful. whatever works for you is great.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Good cures suggested from all above. Second ginger and Sturgen from UK.
Surprised electric wrist bands not mentioned. Sold on private pilots supply sites, I got one for my daughter who loves it and can adjust its strenght for rail, air or marine travel.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Surprised electric wrist bands not mentioned
I mentioned Reliefband in post #26 above. I did find it somewhat effective in stemming the sickness during a trip when 3 of the 4 of us were suffering. It wasn't 100% effective, but it helped enough that I didn't need to visit the lee rail. I think it's worth the money and there's no reason not to use it in combination with other relief methods.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Looked on Amazon for Bonine pills in large quantities. Generic brands are available at $4 to $8 for 100 tablets. However, the $4 bottle dosages were half the $8 bottle's (12.5 vs 25mg). Tricky, no? Then reading the reviews was not encouraging. Some people pointed out that their bottles arrived near the past due date. Some people claimed that their bottle had no label of any kind. Some people claimed that the pills did not work at all. Some people claimed that the "chewable" tablets tasted horrible. I think I will stick with the expensive Bonine sold in stores which my wife likes anyway. Was worth a look. I suspect that a lot of these on line merchants are Telemarketers by day and Druggists by night. Beware.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I mentioned Reliefband in post #26 above. I did find it somewhat effective in stemming the sickness during a trip when 3 of the 4 of us were suffering. It wasn't 100% effective, but it helped enough that I didn't need to visit the lee rail. I think it's worth the money and there's no reason not to use it in combination with other relief methods.
I and a buddy were invited to race on a Morgan 36 in a FL overnighter that runs, or did run, annually each November out of Clearwater. I had done the race twice before. Once on my 20-footer (not recommended:snooty:), and second on a Jeanneau 32 (much better). Stormy weather was forecast with wind and rain/drizzle to arrive from the SW; basically the bearing to the second race mark.

It was one of those “icky” mornings that come with approaching bad weather there in FL. I arrived to the yacht that morning to see the entire crew (but not my buddy) wearing the wristbands.:yikes: I came with my “dinner sandwiches” that my wife had made me, but was told they were not needed b/c lots of food would be aboard and one of the crew would make dinner for everybody, etc. I brought them aboard anyway.

We finally departed under power into the Gulf to gather at the start line. Three-foot seas were already arriving from the SW at our port quarter, so the boat was rolling a bit. One jaw of the spinnaker pole was fouled somehow and needed to be worked on. There was no good space on deck so I suggested to send it below where there was adequate, secure space. The faces—:yikes::yikes::yikes:. “OK, I’ll do it. Send it down.” One of wristband wearers, the crew that was going to make dinner for everyone, leaned over to me and said: “If you can go down there [to fix that pole] you’re a better man than I.” (Egads. It is going to be a long night!) I go below and get it fixed so we’ll have it for the first leg. Obviously, downwind. In my prior two races it was an upwind first leg—same course. But b/c stuff was coming from the SW, that had changed for this race.

We fetched the leeward mark near sunset and set up the boat for a beat to the second mark. The true wind speed was probably around 15 kt, maybe more, with opposing seas. The boat was not well rigged for that kind of work.:doh: Now it’s dinner time. No one had eaten since before the noon start and we were supposed to have hot stew or chili. Below goes one of the wristband wearers; the one mentioned. That lasted less than 5 min before he came launching out the companionway to the gunwale.That was it. Totally down for the night. Mid-night arrives. No one had eaten; the food except for chips/snacks was still packed below. No one was going to take over that job, not even the skipper.

So, I went below with my buddy who had just finished his trick to access the situation, and I shared the dinner sammiches my wife had made for me. :yeah:We then recommended abort the race. We were a still a long way, probably 15 n.mi., from the mark which was upwind, and were making too much leeway; probably in last place as well. It was raining and we were pounding some and kicking up spray. That call seemed to revive the crew who all concurred, if even reluctantly so for one or two. So we swung her around for the run back to harbor. We arrived just at dawn.

So, the wristband clearly did not work for one of our guys. I can’t say for the others. But, it was awfully quiet in the cockpit that night.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
@Kings Gambit you didn't finish the race but you got good story out of it. :) :clap:
On my race in the Jeanneau 32, same buddy but different owner-skipper, the long leg to the second mark was downwind, as it should be. Running wing ‘n wing that night, the apparent wind near the leeward turning mark was around 30 kt. We had to either gybe or chicken-gybe around that mark, but first get the whisker pole in. It was the kind with the locking buttons. (Might lose a finger there if not careful.:what:) My buddy at the helm; me on the foredeck securing the pole. My buddy knew exactly where to put the boat relative to wind and sea for working that task:). We finshed that race fine; no seasick crew but scopolamine patches were on some (not me). Coming up to weather for the beat to finish the skipper took the helm. I actually dozed off for a while. It did calm down some by morning. Good boat; good crew.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
do not go below, ever
do not lie down, ever, if at all possible
Zackly! Sending them below would just about guarantee getting sick if they were on the edge. We usually prefer a gallon zipper bag.

I prefer they lean over the downwind rail to barf, but I understand your point. We don’t have a “cockpit”, per se, just a quarter deck, but more than likely, in fowl weather, we would be in the pilot house.

We were just having a discussion over breakfast about seasickness. I’d like to hear what others think about eating. I’ve always felt an empty stomach invites seasickness, and I recommend eating. What do others think?

I also swear by ginger. We like the candied bites. My wife swears by Meclizine HCL, which is over the counter.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
  1. stand, in the cockpit, knees bent...
  2. face the wind, standing or sitting. i prefer they are in the cockpit ...
  3. have the afflicted stand at the helm and hand drive
  4. do not have the vessel on autopilot
  5. do not duck out of the wind
  6. look at the horizon
  7. try and relax
:plus:

I use these to treat the Mal de Mer...They have worked for me with less serious stricken.
I also have some wristbands and electric stimulus bands on board for guests to test. I have ginger candy, non prescription Bodine, and dramamine in the Med Box.

My most successful trick is the moment I see someone looking a little green they become designated helms person.