new toys coming soon

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
just ordered a new magma combination grill and a new transom ladder for Cool Whip, should get them next week if all goes well.
my local chandlery has a 15% off sale on now until the 24th

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I can almost smell the BBQ Chicken, grilled salmon or Sizzling steaks.

You'll soon be able to use that famous Aussie phrase... "Put another shrimp on the barbie..."
:beer:

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Magma makes a fine grill. I've got one that I've had for 20 years! I've had to replace the burner a couple of times, the flame spreader once, and coming up on grill replacement. I've also converted the piezo ignition to electronic. But the basic grill (I think it's the Catalina) is still fine.
Sailor in our club used to sail a Grampion 26. In the PHRF point series one season, he took a first in class in every race. He now sails a Nonsuch 26 and is probably out sailing the river more often than anyone else but the commercial folk. He just turned 90!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
just ordered a new magma combination grill and a new transom ladder for Cool Whip, should get them next week if all goes well.
my local chandlery has a 15% off sale on now until the 24th
The Magma grills are nice additions. A 1# propane bottle lasts a long time.

One thing, Magma Grills and their parts don't float. They do like to flip upside down while being installed. Get a cover. Don't ask.

Oct 22, 2014
One thing, Magma Grills and their parts don't float. They do like to flip upside down while being installed.
:laugh:
This comment reminded me of our first night aboard our Belize chartered catamaran. The ladies decided grilled chicken would be the first nights meal.

While the ladies are preparing the chicken us guys, beers in hand head towards the grill to Fire it up. Tip up the lid. Tip up the grill. Light the burner. Sip the beer. A smile spreads across our faces. Men build fire.:biggrin:

Tip the lid down. As the lid is shutting, there is heard a tinkling of metal and a soft splash, was that a fish jumping?:what:

We sit down in the lounge area surveying the open waters. Isn’t this a great world. :waycool: Another beer for the men. We built fire. :clap:

Ladies head to the grill. Raise the lid to see that Men build .

John where is the grill to put the chicken on?:facepalm:

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
:laugh:
This comment reminded me of our first night aboard our Belize chartered catamaran. The ladies decided grilled chicken would be the first nights meal.

While the ladies are preparing the chicken us guys, beers in hand head towards the grill to Fire it up. Tip up the lid. Tip up the grill. Light the burner. Sip the beer. A smile spreads across our faces. Men build fire.:biggrin:

Tip the lid down. As the lid is shutting, there is heard a tinkling of metal and a soft splash, was that a fish jumping?:what:

We sit down in the lounge area surveying the open waters. Isn’t this a great world. :waycool: Another beer for the men. We built fire. :clap:

Ladies head to the grill. Raise the lid to see that Men build .

John where is the grill to put the chicken on?:facepalm:
At least the round ones have a twist-lock to hold all the parts in. It’s saved my bacon a few times

Last edited:
  • Ha
Oct 22, 2014
Just be sure to hold it with two hands as you secure it to the pulpit.
Be sure all of the parts are in their locked position (this includes the regulator that has a twist lock feature - applied before your connect the propane bottle.)
Also tie a bit of line to the regulator/propane bottle and the pulpit to act as a leash, just in case.:biggrin:

Grill your meat with salivating glands and a cold beer. You deserve it.:beer:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Assuming a 13" or 15" Magma Kettle grill with Magma specs showing 10,700 BTUs, a 1# propane bottle will last a minimum of 2.02 hours at max heat. Less heat would of course extended that to a longer time.
How Long Does Propane Last
My experience has been running the kettle at max heat is way too hot. The food will char on the outside and be underdone on the inside. Your mileage may vary.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
My experience has been running the kettle at max heat is way too hot. The food will char on the outside and be underdone on the inside. Your mileage may vary.
Bigger than a bread basket, smaller than a house. My post was not suggesting that the grill be run at maximum. The 10,700 BTUs is the only output that the manufacturer provides. Magma goes on to say that for a 13" or 15" gas grill a 1-lb canister will provide a burner time of between 2-4 hours,
Magma 15" Gas Grill Specs

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We inherited a Magma kettle with Bella. All of the innards are rusted or burned away. Not sure if it's better to rebuild or buy new.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Some carefully placed rivets in the seabq make it hard to get the grill out. The grills fell out in the garage while unboxing, prompting an engineering review. :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
After years with a Force 10 barrel grill, I'm very happy with the Magma. The mount we use makes easy to place the grill inboard on our boat. Granted, that won't work for many but it's a convenient and eliminates the lost dinner episodes.
Belfast harbor 72 F July 2019 Grilling peaches 1.jpg

You might notice I just leave the bag (an old canvas tote bag) hanging on the mount. I keep a pair of tongs and grill scraper/brush in there as well.

Once the grill is cool, I slip the bag over it all, then remove the bagged grill from the stanchion.

It hangs from the bag loops in a cockpit locker, back under the deck. It's never been anywhere except in those two positions(it's under deck right now). It's a simple, fast - grilling in 5 minute - system with no little clean up or 'maintenance'.

In about 5 seasons use, I've replaced the flame diffuser.

For the grilling: Ours is the smaller kettle and that is perfect for two and can be crowded but ample, for 3-4. During a record hot day in August, my wife and her sister cooled off in Belfast Harbor as I manned the grill. I followed their floating conversation as it circled the boat, several times.

Belfast harbor 72 F July 2019.jpg

Peaches were grilled first. Luscious, ripe and in season, they're easy. It was a first for me but I was given easy to follow instruction from the water...

Most of their time is spent skin down, the real cooking. Then a deft flip and a few minutes to give them the all important,...grill marks on their faces.

Belfast harbor 72 F July 2019 Grilling peaches 2 1.jpg

Not bad, could have gone another minute or so. You only get one chance with grill marks (you know that).

The peaches were handed forward to the girls, just dried off and changed. There's nothing like the feeling of the warm sun on your skin after a cool dip.

As their conversation continues, without pause in fact, they do the magic with the peaches adding Burrata cheese, fresh-picked basil leaves and drizzle all with olive oil. It's a real skill.

Belfast harbor 72 F July 2019 Grilling peaches and barata Peachpeaches2 1.jpg

I've got one more task: Grill fresh-caught Maine scallops and fresh Halibut steaks. The lid on the grill - previously lowered to get it very hot - is raised and on they go, thickest fish first.

They sizzle as I do my part: brand in the grill marks again. It's a fast process, grilling fresh fish.

The only thing you can do wrong grilling fish, is overcooking. In fact, that goes with everything.

I shift off the lasaret as I'm handed a cool glass of Rose and a smile.

Belfast Harbor Grilled Halibut steaks and local diver scallops.jpg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@TomY the grilled peaches look like a great idea. Will have to try that. :thumbup:
Another great fruit dessert: Mango with raspberry sauce topping. For the sauce, mix the raspberries in a blender or food processor with a dash of maple syrup for just a second or two (add banana to thicken). Fresh or frozen, whatever. If the mango is frozen, put that in the food processor separately to make it soft like ice cream, add a bit of almond milk to help it mix :cool:

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the red havens grown around here, ripe in season, are so good that i would have just eaten them while the crew swam. it's just total lack of self control. peaches are my favorite.

Oct 22, 2014
:plus: Jon. I agree with you. Red Haven peaches are a great addiction.