Buying a boat

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Franklin, welcome to SBO and congrats on your new boat. Our model is very similar to yours. We've really enjoyed ours over the years. Keep us posted and we'll try hard to help you out where we can. The archives have lots of tips, and advice for boats in general.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Franklin... 4 words Franklin... :cowbell: "Don't Do It, Man...":laugh:

Your still a young man and it is just like finding a mistress.

At least you found us recovering boat addicts here. :yikes:

Fair winds and may all your projects be little ones.

FBD

Jan 22, 2021
Hunter 456 Ponte Vedra
Thank you Terry.
The boat needs new standing rigging, running rigging, new interior, new batteries, cabinetry work and who knows what else. I will replace the batteries with lithium batteries, charger and inverter.
Where is the best place to get sails? I will need a new main and gib as well as a cruising spinnaker. I will need a lot of guidance. I am needy.

FBD

Jan 22, 2021
Hunter 456 Ponte Vedra
Welcome Franklin... 4 words Franklin... :cowbell: "Don't Do It, Man...":laugh:

Your still a young man and it is just like finding a mistress.

At least you found us recovering boat addicts here. :yikes:

Fair winds and may all your projects be little ones.
I think it is too late.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
First of all I would add my welcome and ask What was Plan A? :)

The link below will take you to a section of the SBO site that has info specific to your new to you boat.

I would also suggest you reach out to @Dave Groshong who could provide assistance in finding any parts you might need.

Oct 22, 2014
I tried... but you just joined today.:biggrin:
Welcome.
Share some sailing pictures when you get her away from the docks.

Here I am in my favorite body of water...
Hadley JuanDFuca2.jpg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
You're welcome, Franklin. Lots of boat bucks in your to-do list. Sheesh. Our 1991 model year sails and standing rigging all original and still in good condition. Some sail repairs over the years and I inspect the standing rigging each season with no sign of deterioration such as stress cracks, broken wire strands, etc. Some of the running rigging has been replaced over the years due to normal wear.

Boat came with wet cell 8Ds and I replaced them with AGMs. Also replaced the old charger/inverter with an Xantrex Freedom 25 back in 2003 and am pleased with the system's performance. Interior remains in very good condition with leather upholstery. We cruise year around, so added a Wallas diesel furnace to keep the crew warm while on the hook during our winter cruises.

Our boat came with an 8KW Genset and dual reverse cycle heat pumps, which come in handy while connected to shore power. The Genset helps keep the house bank up to snuff during our extended two month cruises up north into British Columbia.

All in all we've been very happy with our boat. She is fast, stiff and very comfortable. I set her up for solo sailing with all the sheet and lanyard controls from the cockpit. The original Autohelm ST-7000 linear drive pilot and related ST-50 instruments still serve their purpose. I have an asymmetrical spinnaker, but seldom use it. No racer here, just enjoy being on the water with whatever wind speed is available.

FBD

Jan 22, 2021
Hunter 456 Ponte Vedra
Terry
I love what you are doing. I am selling everything and plan on doing the same thing until it is time to stop. I have a lot of work ahead for me and the boat. But the journey will be fun. We only live once.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Thank you Terry.
The boat needs new standing rigging, running rigging, new interior, new batteries, cabinetry work and who knows what else. I will replace the batteries with lithium batteries, charger and inverter.
Where is the best place to get sails? I will need a new main and gib as well as a cruising spinnaker. I will need a lot of guidance. I am needy.
I get the new batteries and sails but just out of curiosity - why does a 15 year old boat need all new rigging, new interior, cabinetry work, etc?

the other stuff?

FBD

Jan 22, 2021
Hunter 456 Ponte Vedra
Hi Don
This is what I was told to do for the rig. The interior is pretty beat. It was lived on for almost fifteen years. A few spits of the veneer and plywood have separated cabinetry have swollen and separated. Other spots of the veneer are badly stained and discolored.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Hi Don
This is what I was told to do for the rig. The interior is pretty beat. It was lived on for almost fifteen years. A few spits of the veneer and plywood have separated cabinetry have swollen and separated. Other spots of the veneer are badly stained and discolored.
As long as it’s only cosmetic, the effort will be worth it. From your original description, I was worried the damage was a result of sinking.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hi Franklin and let me add my welcome.

If you need any electrical system help, we're here for you.

You might occasionally look at the links within this one:

Electrical Systems 101 Electrical Systems 101

plus Maine Sail's website.

FBD

Jan 22, 2021
Hunter 456 Ponte Vedra
Hi Stu
Thank you, I will need lots of help. My career consisted of pushing a pencil. I have the knowledge and skill of a Knat.

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
I have the knowledge and skill of a Knat.
Fortunately those are the skills needed to restore a fiberglass boat to useable condition. That and a stash of money. Often called the “Boat Budget”.

This is a pile of what you will hear called “Boat Bucks”.

• Ha