WM BOGO sale for Winches gone forever??

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I'm trying to remember the time of year (if there was one) for WM to have its BOGO winch sale? Really want to upgrade winches onboard. Anybody remember when this would take place? Hoping its not a thing of the past.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
West Marine typically runs big discounts in the summer. That is when I purchased a roll-up dinghy for 30% off its retail price. You will just have to wait it out OR buy a used one on ebay for a big discount, like my friend just did.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I'm with @MikeHoncho March, if Lewmar works with them. If they don't have the sale look around for a better price than WM. I bought two 30ST for $1384 no tax and free shipping (arrived in 3 days from the other side of the country). Same winches at WM (no bogo) would have cost $2016 including tax and store pickup. Yes, I "possible" paid $300 more but our sailing season is during the winter and I needed a Christmas gift. If the numbers don't add up for you it's because my state still gets $76 tax for the free winch.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
If the numbers don't add up for you it's because my state still gets $76 tax for the free winch.
That does not sound legal- more like fraud. Such taxes are calculated on the actual selling price.
FWIW, Good reason to live in a non-sales tax state!
When I bought two new 40ST Lewmar's from WM, I paid the retail price for one with no shipping. I have access to a wholesale account, but this was quite a bit better, at least for that item. You have to watch for this closely -- the sale was open for about 3 days, IIRC.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
FWIW, Good reason to live in a non-sales tax state!
That is what I thought too, until I tried to buy my wife the care she craved. Then is when you learn about the Oregon CAP tax. :banghead: Charged as an "add-on" by Washington and Oregon dealers alike. The Washington salesman called it the Oregon Luxury Tax... What? :yikes:

It is a sales tax on the company for the privilege of doing business in Oregon. And the businesses are passing it on to the customers as a SALES TAX...:banghead:Arrggg:facepalm:

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
From the Tax Capital of the World: NJ has a sales tax of 6.625% on almost everything except prescription drugs, everyday clothing and groceries. BTW, soda and candy are not groceries here. In addition, if you purchase something outside of NJ (like DE, cruise ship or foreign port) that you bring back to NJ, you are subject to a "Use Tax". Same 6.625%. If jssailem lived here in NJ and wanted to buy his wife a coat made of fur or an expensive handbag, they may be subject to the sales or use tax.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
thanks for the responses. Yes called WM and the phone agent couldn't advise any info. that's why i sent out the forum question. Hoping it happens in March but in the meantime, I will continue to look elsewhere such as eBay, Defender and others for the Lewmar winches. also sorry to hear about the sales tax woes. Governments gonna get what it wants.

Apr 8, 2010
That is what I thought too, until I tried to buy my wife the care she craved. Then is when you learn about the Oregon CAP tax. :banghead: Charged as an "add-on" by Washington and Oregon dealers alike. The Washington salesman called it the Oregon Luxury Tax... What? :yikes:

It is a sales tax on the company for the privilege of doing business in Oregon. And the businesses are passing it on to the customers as a SALES TAX...:banghead:Arrggg:facepalm:
Bought a new vehicle one year ago in Portland. No such thing. You were lied to - a car salesman, lying. Whodathunkit.? OTOH, they do try their best to sell you 3 different kinds of "insurance" for dubious stuff.
If you really were charged a "CAP" you need to talk to the AG's office in Salem. They helped us once with a bogus charge. It's interesting how one letter from that office gets an immediate answer that there "was a misunderstanding!"
:(

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@FastOlson I miss typed. It is the CAT tax not CAP. 16 May 2019 our governor signed into law a tax on sales for all businesses doing more than 1million in sales. Got to love the girl. A sales tax on the businesses sales. So what do the businesses do naturally charge the tax to the person buying something from them.

Buy a car in Oregon or bring it into Oregon you get to pay Ms Browns sales tax. Lucky us.

Apr 8, 2010
@FastOlson I miss typed. It is the CAT tax not CAP. 16 May 2019 our governor signed into law a tax on sales for all businesses doing more than 1million in sales. Got to love the girl. A sales tax on the businesses sales. So what do the businesses do naturally charge the tax to the person buying something from them.

Buy a car in Oregon or bring it into Oregon you get to pay Ms Browns sales tax. Lucky us.
This is a peek at a contentious PR fight between the business lobby and the Gov. Some businesses decided to list just one of the business taxes they pay as a line item to their customers to make a point about one tax that they particularly dislike.

I recall that when they were challenged to also print out on all receipts their property taxes and federal taxes they choose not do so. They could also list their electric, water, and sewer charges... and their phone and internet bills with the various taxes those have attached to them.

I have some complaints with our Gov, too, but basically the legislature makes law and she signs them... and all of us voted for all of them. Remember what Pogo said.... !

Grim humor in our little state---- for several election cycles the Republican Party has chosen, for no logical reason, to run a candidate for gov with no actual qualification save for access to a whole lot of money. Dem's are not just pretty good at winning; Repub's are even better at losing. (sigh)
Hope it's better in other states!
:(

Time to get back to sailing. If I had my druthers I'd be well off shore in the summer, sailing DW and making double digits. Hour after hour.... after hour...... :)

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
When I ordered my Lewmar 40STs on bogo with WM they charged me full price for one, sent it then I waited about 3 weeks to get the free one. And of course it showed up unannounced and sat on my porch all afternoon.

• Wow
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I know this is an old thread but it seemed silly to start a new one on the same topic. Just an FYI for those interested the BOGO sale started today. I'm not in the market currently but one never knows.