Prada cup on TV

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
fyi: the Prada cup ( Americas cup) is being shown live on NBCSN evenings at 6:00 PM West coast time. enjoyed watching last night, even though USA lost it's first race to UK.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Thanks for the heads up !

Generally could care less about that race, but might be better than other tv options.

Why you ask ?
The team with the deepest pockets wins.
Buy the tech.. Buy the crew and say they are country "a".
If they had the exact same boat then it, at least, would be down to crew skill.
:poke:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I preferred the 12's off Freemantle. This is more like Pro drag racing. leave on them (win the start), hook the tires (get foiling), don't spin the tires downtrack (fall off the foils), win the race. These races are being decided at the start line and the first tack off the line unless something breaks or a major boat handling error occurs. Thin F1, rare to see a pass. I'm not impressed.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I liked the NYYC Commodore's recent comment that if they win, for next time, they're going to “put the boats back in the water”.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Watched it last night. Less than 8 knots of wind, can’t get up on the foils, hull in the water, ultimately a drifter.
At least with 6-8 knots in a conventional hull you still have a race, instead of a six leg up and back, shortened to four with one boat a dnf.
I used to be really into America’s Cup, now not so much. I would be all for a return to ”conventional” hull and rig even to the point of reverting to a version of the 12 meter rule.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Why you ask ?
The team with the deepest pockets wins.
Buy the tech.. Buy the crew and say they are country "a".
If they had the exact same boat then it, at least, would be down to crew skill.
:poke:
Make all boats the same. That is what killed auto racing. If you go back to the late 60s and 70s, that is when all the innovation happened, particularly in the Can-Am series. You listen to the teams talk about all the interesting ideas people were trying. You can talk about the limitations of money, but the reality is, there will always be a challenger. There were unsponsored teams still competing the professionals. Innovation is what makes it exciting. It is very difficult to appreciate the skill differences between the teams, especially when those teams are so evenly matched. Making everything the same just means its only by chance who wins and who looses. At that point, no one cares.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Make all boats the same. That is what killed auto racing.
I don't agree. Works fine for one design racing worldwide.
(Can't see auto racing being dead. Maybe the racing most commonly televised and followed in the USA ? Nascar and drag racing has alway been boring until a crash happens. Similar to big cat racing. Hehe)

Boats mostly the same. Other than minor tuning on a laser for example.

As others have said even the old 12 metre boats were better in spite of allowing crap like a cat vs monohull or winged keel vs not. Americas cup has been BS since then.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Is there one on today?
There should be as long as wind conditions permit. I think the schedule is three consecutive days of racing per week with a few other days allocated to catch up if races are cancelled.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
When they couldn't foil it was like watching paint dry, but they were still doing 8kts in only 8kts of breeze. I don't know if you can turn back the clock. Someone once told me "Sailing is inherently slow, no reason not to go as fast as you can."

• Ha
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I am on the Prada site now on another page. The "Live" feed is a post race press conference. The Day 2 vid is "Relive." Is day 2 racing over? If GMT is 0, and EST is +4, what is New Zealand? ..... OK with the help of Every Time Zone it is 5:45 AM January 17th in Aukland. So "Todays Racing" there is yesterday's racing here. I think. Sure was a lot easier to follow in Newport.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Working backwards local race time in NZ is 3:00 pm to 5:00pm January 17th. Using the TZ converter, that makes it 9:00pm to 11:00 pm here on the East Coast in DST.
Here is the link to the converter. It is cool because you can move the yellow bar ahead.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Working backwards local race time in NZ is 3:00 pm to 5:00pm January 17th. Using the TZ converter, that makes it 9:00pm to 11:00 pm here on the East Coast in DST.
Here is the link to the converter. It is cool because you can move the yellow bar ahead.

Correct. “Day 2” was 9PM EST last night. “Day 3” should be 9PM EST tonight, although it looks like NBC Sports Network will be carrying figure skating instead.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I am on the Prada site now on another page. The "Live" feed is a post race press conference. The Day 2 vid is "Relive." Is day 2 racing over? If GMT is 0, and EST is +4, what is New Zealand? ..... OK with the help of Every Time Zone it is 5:45 AM January 17th in Aukland. So "Todays Racing" there is yesterday's racing here. I think. Sure was a lot easier to follow in Newport.
:)
3A62F07B-3907-4EAB-9068-8B1D23E2EE0C.jpeg8E4C8F68-66EA-436F-9115-66C6CAE4B3EB.jpeg

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
The next races are, US dates, Jan 16, 21, 22, & 23. Check your NBC Sports Network schedule. For me in the central time zone, 16th is at 11pm and is "tape delay". 21st is at 11:30pm and is delay, 22nd is at 8pm and is live, 23rd is at 10pm and is delay.

The boats are very similar, there are parts that are by rule, the same. I suggest those that say only money wins and the boats are not similar enough, do some research and find out what is and what isn't. Of course, this is a rich syndicate's league. Us mere mortals are out of reach.

I don't think anyone, especially on a forum, will ever be happy with the rules package for such an event. Technology evolves in all forms of racing.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
My tv guide says "sailing" tonight (Sat) is on NBCSN from 9:00 - 11:00 PM, west coast time, right after the ice skating. doesn't say which match(s) is being shown but I assume day three which would be Italy against UK and USA against Italy I think.
After yesterdays races they were saying winds were expected to be stronger the next day, so we can hope.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
My tv guide says "sailing" tonight (Sat) is on NBCSN from 9:00 - 11:00 PM, west coast time, right after the ice skating. doesn't say which match(s) is being shown but I assume day three which would be Italy against UK and USA against Italy I think.
After yesterdays races they were saying winds were expected to be stronger the next day, so we can hope.
This is the schedule page. Subject to change of races are cancelled.

I’m hoping at least one of these will be in really windy conditions! We know they can foil and stay flying in sub 10knots stuff but it would be interesting to see them race if it’s 30:)

EDIT: I learned that there is a maximum wind strength for race cancellation.

Last edited: