NEED TRAILER FOR A HUNTER 27 EDGE MARYLAND AREA

Jan 14, 2021
Hunter 27 Edge Bay
Hi Forum,

I just bought a 2009 Hunter 27 Edge thats been on a lift. Im in urgent need of a trailer to move out of the owners property. Research on market for new trailers for this boat has not yielded any good results.

Thanks

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you are considering a used trailer just know the used trailer market is odd. A decent used trailer (without a boat on it) will probably still be around $1,000+. But a total POS boat sitting on a nice trailer might be $400. I've done the "crappy boat" trailer manuever twice before.
This trailer was $400 with crappy boat. I stripped the decent hardware from the boat and then sold the hull for $100. She needed about $400 of trailer brackets and lumber to make the skids and I now have a Rhodes 22 sitting on this trailer.

trailer3.jpg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Hi Forum,

I just bought a 2009 Hunter 27 Edge thats been on a lift. Im in urgent need of a trailer to move out of the owners property. Research on market for new trailers for this boat has not yielded any good results.

Thanks
I understand your sense of urgency but posting in multiple areas isn’t going to help :)

I would offer that you might consider contacting a boat moving company in your area that could help out. If the issue is your deal is dependent on getting the boat moved they could possibly also “store” the boat for you while you find a trailer.

Jan 14, 2021
Hunter 27 Edge Bay
I have been contacting multiple companies and some have the specs but as you say timeline is about 12 weeks. Would you mind sending pictures of the beds. Im wondering how complex of a change is needed. thanks and happy sailing!!

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Hunter used Magic Tilt for a bunch of boats

Jan 19, 2010
Here is an example of what I was talking about.... crappy boat on a nice trailer...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hunter Marine had Magic Tilt trailers build the trailer for the Hunter 27 Edge at their Florida plant. I introduced that boat for Hunter as a former dealer. Due to the way the hull is made, I would be leary if others particularly home or rebuilt trailers. See if you can leave the boat on the lift till April. If not, go by water to a yard that has a travel lift to pull the boat out and store it on the hard. Keep from filling the tank and follow where the strap markers on the hull which to lift the boat.
If ordering a trailer, call Magic Tilt and see if you can either go thru the former Hunter dealer in Hav de Grace, MD or tidewater marine. You might be able to go thru a power boat dealer.
If in the water, close off the tank so water cannot get into the tank assuming there is anti fouling paint on and a slip is available

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021
Hunter 27 Edge Bay
Found a used trailer but is set up with rollers not bed. Are rollers a no go for sailboats? thanks

Jan 19, 2010
Found a used trailer but is set up with rollers not bed. Are rollers a no go for sailboats? thanks
I had a balboa 26 on a magic tilt with rollers. Much heavier boat than the Edge so I'd think it would be okay.

Jan 14, 2021
Hunter 27 Edge Bay
I had a balboa 26 on a magic tilt with rollers. Much heavier boat than the Edge so I'd think it would be okay.
Thanks for the info. Do you know how far out the boat can be at the back off the bed or rollers?

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for the info. Do you know how far out the boat can be at the back off the bed or rollers?
Well Dave said no so prob a bad idea. The Balboa does not have a ballast tank so that is probably the big difference. Regarding overhang... I believe the law is 6' but that is a foggy memory ...:cool:

Jan 14, 2021
Hunter 27 Edge Bay
Thank you all for your help and guidance. Called Magic Tilt and they referred me to their local dealer(Eastern Group) which confirmed that they only sell parts not trailers, called Magic Tilt back and someone is supposed to call me back. Its been very hard to narrow down what is the specific bed arrangement. Found a new trailer but the seller cant confirm it will work on the Hunter 27 edge as he can only confirm is built for boats. The trailer has the weight capacity and length to handle the 27 Edge but im unsure of the bed arrangement.