Good Read

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
The book was published in 2013 and some of you may have already read, “The Gathering Wind, Hurricane Sandy, the Sailing Ship Bounty and a Courageous Rescue at Sea.” I remember pictures on this forum of the Bounty engineering spaces and they were atrocious. Great read and highly recommended.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I remember touring the MGM Bounty when I was a kid in the early 70s. She was a fixture of the Tampa waterfront for my entire childhood.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
The Rescue of the Bounty is another great book on the subject- one of those page turners that you can't put down- you really appreciate the utter bravery of the USCG folks

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
I remember Hurricane Sandy! So does my last boat seen to the left here, washed up into the marina parking lot.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
The Rescue of the Bounty is another great book on the subject- one of those page turners that you can't put down- you really appreciate the utter bravery of the USCG folks
Thanks. I will look for that. The rescue in this book is covered very well and in great detail. A a retired Navy Helo pilot who has rescued (and recovered) folks in good weather and bad I read it with white knuckles. Also having conducted night flight ops during Hurricane David in the North Atlantic it brought back some very vivid memories. The carrier actually had to back down to reduce the wind (70+kts) over the flight deck so we could launch aircraft. While in a hover with our dipping sonar deployed I watched our radar altimeter go from 70' to 5'. The waves looked like snow capped mountains moving toward us. And all this was done darken ship and no radios. I distinctly remember thinking there must be a better way to make a living.