New tool :)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This little to-do has been on the back of my mind: Been meaning to safety-wire the hardware on my transmission coupling to help prevent anything from vibrating loose. I have a wire-worthy project or two around the house too.
I haven't used these since my hitch in the Marines over 40 years ago. We safety wired everything to be flightworthy. Bought these at Harbor Freight. I don't need anything fancy for a few jobs. The clerks had never heard of them. I had to Google their site to show them.

pliers.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I love mine. Good safety wiring is faster and more secure than the ring-ding fasteners for stopping a turnbuckle from turning, and a quick clip frees it.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Oh the things you'll do with that tool. 13 years as a Marine Amtracker taught me a thing or two about safety wiring. The very first multi-day trip I took in 2018 with my new-to-me 2009 Hunter 36 I checked the transmission oil level on my Yanmar 3YM30 and the rotted plastic dipstick came apart. I ended up having to safety wire the remains of the cap onto the transmission for the trip until I could order a much better replacement. Safety wire saved the trip!

1609945075743.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh yes aviation safety wire.
Keeps the things in place better than duct tape.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
1609948054226.png

Some would say after a couple of hours of securing stuff, The only thing not safety wired in the plane was the pilot. And then there were those that perhaps should have been.:biggrin:

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Spent three years in the Navy as a J79 jet engine mechanic and trouble shooter. That tool brings back many fond memories safety wiring all of the machine screws and bolts that made the J79 operate. Combustion chamber compressor housing, fuel nozzles, etc., etc., etc. It was an indispensable tool.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Spent three years in the Navy as a J79 jet engine mechanic and trouble shooter. That tool brings back many fond memories safety wiring all of the machine screws and bolts that made the J79 operate. Combustion chamber compressor housing, fuel nozzles, etc., etc., etc. It was an indispensable tool.
F4s? I was avionics on RF4Bs. We had to be the ones to tell the engine mechanics when a generator was bad and the engine had to be pulled. You almost had to be triple jointed to hook the cables back up and safety wire them.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Yup, F4H. Spent the first cruise on the flight deck as a Plane Captain (grunt) on the Kitty Hawk. The second cruise was back in the fantail working on the J79. Nice engine, but the absolute worst part was replacing the fuel nozzle located in the six o'clock position of the engine. It was amazing to operate the engine on the test stand at maximum thrust plus afterburner with you standing right at it looking for any signs of leaks or problems and yet it was cool to the touch, at least in front of the afterburner.

I also remember replacing a CSD (constant speed generator) on the flight deck in the middle of the night by myself. That big sucker had to weigh at least 60 pounds or more.

One of the best experiences was taking the plane out to the test ramp for a post maintenance power check. All the routine work was done, but the final step was a live test. You towed the plane out to the test site and tied down the plane to the deck with this large cable, hooked up the starter tractor, climbed into and closed the cockpit canopy then started each engine. I was required to run both engines through a series of performance tests from idle to maximum thrust and then into afterburner. First, one at a time from idle to full afterburner. Even though the throttle was pushed full forward, it took a bit of time (a few seconds) for the fuel control to bring the engine up to the throttle setting to avoid flameout. Then both engines together. The test required this to be done several times while recording any anomalies. Quite the feeling of all that power. I always wondered what would have happened if I were to just disconnect that tie down cable and take off for home.