Antifoul prop while boat in water

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I coat Propshield on prop & shaft whenever boat is in yard for antifouling job. Naturally, it doesn't last than 2 months of use. I'm thinking of coating the Propshield wax underwater. Using a sponge (dish washing kind) rub Propshield wax on the prop & shaft.
Will it work?

Ken Y

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Gee, if it does, you'd best patent the method and get rich.
I've seen guys that don't use their boat often cover their prop in a plastic bag. That seems to help some. But then you've got to dive it off before you get underway.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Gee, if it does, you'd best patent the method and get rich.
I've seen guys that don't use their boat often cover their prop in a plastic bag. That seems to help some. But then you've got to dive it off before you get underway.
Had considered plastic bag and waxed paper. You're right about needing to dive under to remove when underway....that's a damper.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Using a sponge (dish washing kind) rub Propshield wax on the prop & shaft.
Looks like the mfg. wants this stuff to dry for a few hours before launching. Not too good underwater.

Wax.jpg

Mind you, I must admit the mfg. is honest about the life expectancy of the product:

Life.jpg

Five minutes is "up to" 12 months. Like a lot of advertised guarantees.

I've applied all kinds of crap to the shaft and prop over the years and always found the two to be clean of the applied material and having varying coats of barnacles when pulled each year.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
What about lanolin grease?
Tried it. Someone should kill that urban legend. It works until it wears off, perhaps ? miles of motoring. Perhaps it might work on an idle boat to stop growth from clinging, but not so if you use it. I tried Lanocote one season, Desitin baby bottom rash cream another season (Lanolin and Zinc Oxide).
It didn’t help, except enough remained inside the little set screw holes that hold my Shaft Shark line cutter. So I suppose I should recommend it for keeping tiny set screw holes from filling with hard growth. :clap:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I use multiple coats of paste type auto wax. Hard growth is minimal. Not sure if the wax helped or not. A real test would be to put it on two of the three prop blades and compare at season's end. I have considered this but then thought about disturbing prop balance and decided against this test. Maybe someone with more curiosity will try it.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Forespar LanoCote can be applied when boat is in the water.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Forespar makes 'Prop and Bottom'. I've applied it on the hard after cleaning the prop completely and it lasted several months of motoring down the ICW. But I tried reapplying under water and it didn't last long. I didn't clean the prop down to shiny bronze underwater as they require so maybe it would have lasted a bit. Seems like a good option for a summer of minimal motoring but not long term heavy use. Works nicely on my outboard that often sits at the dinghy dock.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Funny, I had good luck with Desitin. It didn't stop grass from growing but no barnacles. However, I'm only in the water 12-14 weeks. Last year I tried zinc chromate paint. I think it attracted barnacles..

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There is a process that anti fouling paint paint is applied to a tie coat I think by Petit used on power boats that you could look at which worked for me as a dealer which worked but I cannot remember as it has been over 10 years ago. Maybe someone can look into that