Dogs as crew

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Pretty useless actually.
The solo sailor's nightmare,
Praying that the dog will disengage the auotpilot and come back and pick you up.
Not very likely, thinks me.

gary

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Where are the great whites when you really need one? Might be a little hard to get on without a saddle, but it's gotta beat a klick or two of swimming.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
A powerboater and his dog.

The man falls falls overboard and the dog stays dry, safe, and in the boat.

Speaks volumes :facepalm:.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Dogs are great crew! They don't complain. They have 4 legs and good balance. Basically cheerful and excited to be doing - anything! They enjoy the fresh air and share the whole experience with you. Can you say that about other crew?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Three dogs back, we had a Golden Retriever and a smaller boat. He would lay down on the cockpit floor on top of all the control lines and fall asleep. When we had to tack, I would yell, "Toby, get off the lines!" He would jump up and run around in tight circles until things settled down and then go back to sleep on the lines.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
.I once bought a boat from a friend who had a dog. We were hanging out on the anchor one day and the friend came by in a dink with the dog. The dog leaped onto the transom platform and immediately down the companionway to sit in its favorite place. That's how I learned where the best breeze was in the cabin

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Dogs are some of the best crew. I had a Springer in the Bahamas for one winter on our (then) sailboat. Anchored in the 'holes' in the Exhumas, he'd jump in the dinghy in the morning and I'd let it out on a long line until it fetched up on one of the uninhabited islands or bars. He'd take his walk while I made coffee. About the time the coffee was done, I'd look out a port and see him sitting in the dinghy. I'd pull him in, he could climb the swim ladder.
 Arnie 88:89 Bahamas2.jpg

This one is good crew too.

tommy hadley harbor.jpg

Sep 8, 2020
Merit 22 Honker Bay
I had a German Shepard who turned out to not be a water dog. He started sitting between the tiller and the cockpit seats so I couldn't steer. Then he got into the habit of walking down the dock, after a sail, and jumping on my buddy's boat and pooping on the foredeck.

The last day I tried to take him sailing he puked in the truck as soon as he say we were in the marina. I've known good boat dogs. But this guy wasn't one.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
When I was just a lad, we had a crew dog. Just had to be in the boat when it was going. One day, my dad got away from the dock before the dog woke up from his nap. The dog jumped up, busted through the screen door and ran to the end of the pier. When he got to the end, he leaped off and started swimming for the boat. We got dad's attention and he circled back and picked the dog out of the water. The dog then ran to the bow of the boat to shake off the water and stand like a figurehead. Can't go fishing without the dog!

Jan 21, 2018
Hunter P42 Ft Lauderdale
  • My dog is very intelligent. We are working on distinguishing left paw from right paw and right of the bat he is getting it correct 50% of the time. We have gone over the man-overboard drill many times. I just hope he remembers throttle and transmission and sheets when it counts.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There is the "We don't have thumbs ..." problem. But they have jaws.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
There is the "We don't have thumbs ..." problem. But they have jaws.
And yet mine figured out out to open a door knob using both paws, they don't let you see them when doing something that should require a thumb.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I'm on the fence about getting a dog or not, I might inherit my GF's german shepherd puppy as they are too busy to take care of it, but I'm debating because I'm not sure he'll be a good boat dog

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
dogs love being with their people on boats or off. . they are better than tacks on the deck for alerting you to burglars ...

Jan 21, 2018
Hunter P42 Ft Lauderdale
My neighbor at the marina had a great boat dog. A big retriever. As soon as the fireworks started, he would run aboard and pee on the bed. Theirs, not his.