Shrink Wrap not done!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
at my yard, one hour of labor is $125.00. all the beer and donuts prolly equals one hour labor. i bet i save much more money annually cause the crew hustles on my projects. they like me. i like them

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I was once discussing the value of shrink wrapping a sailboat with an open transom with the head manager of a large marina on Long Island, NY. I told him I didn't see the value in shrink wrapping and he agreed. He also asked me not to spread the word as the marina made a nice profit on this service.
Before I moved to Florida I left my boat UN-covered for 5 winters. Never had any problem. Years ago when I had a Hunter 30 with a closed transom and scuppers, it would flood as the scuppers would get clogged. Open transom solved that issue.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Covering and how you cover a boat is going to vary depending on the boat and the locale. In my neck of the woods we typically get 10 to 12 feet (yes feet) of snow each year. That is a lot snow and water sitting on the boat. Some boats with open transoms only cover the cabin with a tarp because the snow and water can run off. Others try elaborate home made systems with an assortment of tarps. There is always one person who tries to use a cheap blue tarp that is poorly secured. That tarp is usually on the ground by Christmas.

We're also quite exposed to wind. In the prevailing westerlies there is about 120 mile fetch from Toronto to the SE shore of Lake Ontario. Cheap tarps don't last long.

A few years back I went in to check on my boat and to remove the prop. The bottom of the cradle is about 40 inches above the ground.

P2110033.jpeg P2110036.jpeg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
require the extra TLC. GREASE BABY!!!!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I tip at haul out, from the lift operators to the guy who runs the power washer. The foreman gets extra. I use their names when we talk and show interest in their opinions. Respect and mutual consideration. One hand washes the other. If I ask for extra attention or consideration they are happy to help. Even the boat yard dog gets an extra pat on the head. It's not always easy when the pressure is on, but it usually doesn't hurt to be nice.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
From a different perspective, Wringly Brothers could set up several tents in a day using a bunch of clowns. :biggrin:
I had reused shrink wrap and the second year it was more brittle, less apt to shrink at all, and the tape wouldn’t hold as well. I spent more time clearing the snow off since it sagged more.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Why not just build s ridge pole out of lumber or PVC pipe?
Did the PVC this years ago.. Saved and used all the broken pieces over the years. Cold, freeze/thaw cycles and wind really take a toll on PVC. I've also made wooden ridgepole and strapping frameworks . To utilize the fitted cover I'd really need the lower portion of a C34 mast to ensure proper elevations and snug fit around the keel stepped mast. If only a short (3') or so piece of mast was available, I"d toyed with mounting it to a 4x6 wooden beam that could set on the step and project thru the cabin top collar.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Covering and how you cover a boat is going to vary depending on the boat and the locale. In my neck of the woods we typically get 10 to 12 feet (yes feet) of snow each year. That is a lot snow and water sitting on the boat. Some boats with open transoms only cover the cabin with a tarp because the snow and water can run off. Others try elaborate home made systems with an assortment of tarps. There is always one person who tries to use a cheap blue tarp that is poorly secured. That tarp is usually on the ground by Christmas.

We're also quite exposed to wind. In the prevailing westerlies there is about 120 mile fetch from Toronto to the SE shore of Lake Ontario. Cheap tarps don't last long.

A few years back I went in to check on my boat and to remove the prop. The bottom of the cradle is about 40 inches above the ground.

View attachment 188378 View attachment 188379
That's a nice cover Dave! It looks like a trailer park around you though :biggrin:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
That's a nice cover Dave! It looks like a trailer park around you though :biggrin:
Funny you should say that. The marina I'm in now is in the middle of an RV Park. The owner however, is quite particular and if you don't keep things up, out you go.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Captain Larry has the right idea. Not just the tips but remembering the yard crew's names and whether they have kids. Or if they're a Bruins fan. I also go visit my boat in mid-winter when things are really quiet at the boatyard and offer to take the yard manager out for a sandwich. I always hear some great stories. He once told me that I'm the only boat owner who's taken him to lunch. Since I started doing this, I never have to worry about my boat not launching on time.