Deck Sheave replacement, 1985 H28.5

DJGERN

Nov 23, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Chattanooga, TN
Anyone have any tips on this? I am about to the point of just pulling the whole block off the deck and trying to figure out how to mount something else... I can take the screw bolts out, but still can't get the sheaves out... any advice would be appreciated. Photo below. those sheaves are crumbling and need need need to be replaced...

1123201657.jpg

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
Don't the center screws go through the hubs of the sheaves? When you take the screws out, what's keeping the sheaves in..can you tell? The sheaves definitely should be replaceable.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks can be deceiving. My guess...
The “screws” as you identify them through bolts holding the unit in place. The unit has an upper and lower plate held together by the 4 rivets on the ends. It is likely that there is a metal bushing between the plates that the sheaves spin around. This bushing holds the sheaves in place.

The unit looks like it is a consumable item. tossed when the sheaves start to fail. Cost based on the sheaves would be cheap to save money on the boat build. Welcome to our throwaway society.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yupp, probably a sleeve that the sheaves turn on.. If you pull the unit off the deck he sleeves may come out the bottom (if you are lucky) or you may be able to slightly pry the upper /lower apart to release the sleeves..

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If you take out the 2 bolts, you can probably drive out the 2 sleeves the bolts went through. If not, then drill out the 4 rivets.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Remove the sheets. Remove the Phillips head machine screws. Take your Dremel tool and remove the useless plastic in between the 2 aluminum plates. Take a picture of the remainder before you start in with your Sawzall to remove whatever it is that remains between the plates. A trip to your local true value should give you a chance to disassemble a pully or 2 to get new sheaves . Do not ask for sailboat sheaves as they are made from unobtainium and very expensive.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
You should be able to replace the whole thing as a unit. Not that expensive. If it is like my boat (Hunter 34) then the bolts go through sleeves and tap into an aluminum plate in the deck. Just remove the whole thing and replace. On the other hand, you may be able to get the sheaves separately.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
If you manage to remove the sheaves and can’t find replacements. I found a company online that made a set for me And the price was reasonable. I would have to do some research to find the company. Send me a PM if you end up taking that route and I will do my best to find the company.

DJGERN

Nov 23, 2020
Looks can be deceiving. My guess...
The “screws” as you identify them through bolts holding the unit in place. The unit has an upper and lower plate held together by the 4 rivets on the ends. It is likely that there is a metal bushing between the plates that the sheaves spin around. This bushing holds the sheaves in place.

The unit looks like it is a consumable item. tossed when the sheaves start to fail. Cost based on the sheaves would be cheap to save money on the boat build. Welcome to our throwaway society.
I think this is exactly what this may be. when I take the bolts out, I cannot tap out the sheaves. I do think the bushing is part of the metal plates. Any ideas where I can find a replacement unit? Thanks!!!

DJGERN

Nov 23, 2020
... Just remove the whole thing and replace. ....
Any idea where to find the replacement for the deck organizer? I really don't want to have to tap new threaded holes on the deck if I can just use the threaded ones already there... I assume this was original to the boat

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Any idea where to find the replacement for the deck organizer? I really don't want to have to tap new threaded holes on the deck if I can just use the threaded ones already there... I assume this was original to the boat
Most sailboat hardware is NOT specially designed and made by the boatbuilder, especially builders of "production" boats, like Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau, etc.. They normally will contract with a hardware manufacturer and order what they need at a bulk discount. If the production is a long run it is not uncommon for the builder to change hardware vendors for one reason or another........ SO..... what you can do is measure the distance between the two fastener holes... and start shopping for a new deck organizer and try to find one that matches up. You might even want to increase the two sheave model to 2 x 2 stacked model in case you find more lines to route aft. If the fasteners are tapped into a deck plate, use the old ones to guide your replacement. But.... truthfully, it isn't that hard to tap a new hole or two. Once you see the wide variation in pricing you'll understand.

When your begin your search you will be overwhelmed with the number of organizers available... Literally every sailboat hardware manufacturer produces them in many configurations and styles. I'd suggest you try Garhaurer first (Schaeffer's are expensive), because they're good quality and very reasonably priced. I have a couple on my boat, btw. This double I've pictured sells for $45. Max 1/2" line size. The 2 inch sheaves are spaced 2 7/16" bolt to bolt. You may luck out..... The same item from schaeffer will cost twice that. Good luck.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Looking at the deck organizer as it is attached to the boat, its evident that the machine screws attach the part to the deck. There is also evidence of squeeze out beneath. Hopefully its just caulking and not the dreaded 5200. After removing the screws, if the material is only caulking, you should be able to break it loose by “sawing” through it with a piece of monofilament fishing line.
I am guessing that the bushings themselves are attached ro the body of the deck organizer by built up oxidation. You should be able to get replacement sheaves from someplace like McMaster-Carr if the SBO store doesn't have a source.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Here's the spec on the Schaefer:
Sheave Dia. 1-7/16" (37 mm), Max Line 7/16" (11 mm), Length 4-11/32" (110 mm), Width 1-7/16" (37 mm), Height 25/32" (20 mm), Fasteners (2) 1/4" RH (6 mm), CC 1-5/8"

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You may want to get 2 of what you find. The other side is probably not far behind this one.

Be sure to properly re-bed whatever you come up with.

DJGERN

Nov 23, 2020
Looking at the deck organizer as it is attached to the boat, its evident that the machine screws attach the part to the deck. There is also evidence of squeeze out beneath. Hopefully its just caulking and not the dreaded 5200. After removing the screws, if the material is only caulking, you should be able to break it loose by “sawing” through it with a piece of monofilament fishing line.
I am guessing that the bushings themselves are attached ro the body of the deck organizer by built up oxidation. You should be able to get replacement sheaves from someplace like McMaster-Carr if the SBO store doesn't have a source.
Thanks for these tips!

DJGERN

Nov 23, 2020
You may want to get 2 of what you find. The other side is probably not far behind this one.

Be sure to properly re-bed whatever you come up with.
Thanks for the link!