Adding Wheels to a Dinghy

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I have a really nice double hulled fiberglass dingy. Usually if I use it I am moving it by myself. It has a decent lip on the back that is about 1-1.15" wide. Has anyone see some kind of wheels I could drill holes and bolt them to the transom so when it is inverted I could just pick up the front and drag it? I saw a friend's Walker Bay that has wheels molded into it and thought that was pretty nice.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've got the now-discontinued Davis 1481 model on my inflatable.

Big inflatable wheels.
Yes, they add windage when up, slightly difficult to counter their buoyancy when locking them down, take up room in the lazarette, yada yada yada.
But when landing, they keep the propeller above the bottom so you just motor right up onto the beach, letting you and your nimble bow person minimize the foot-wetting experience. Launching from the beach can be done completely dry.

Sep 29, 2008
Wow, I guess I just used the wrong search terms. I like the options, but my dinghy is a Sumner dinghy that is double hulled so I am not sure I can mount the West Marine or the Davis stuff to my dinghy easily. The Practical Sailor guide was helpful. Thanks for all the suggestions. Ray

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
You can make 1 or 2 u shaped wooden removable brackets to mount upside down over transom which terminate in a small Wheel on the lower ends. I saw the Design in practical boat owner the british diy boater mag, but don t have the plans any more....

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I like the options, but my dinghy is a Sumner dinghy that is double hulled so I am not sure I can mount the West Marine or the Davis stuff to my dinghy easily
I see plenty of fitting that go through the cabin top and though the inner liner. Is the inner liner of your dinghy made of thin material? I installed some non marine harbor freight wheels on the outside and a piece of wood across the transom on the inside. The fiberglass is sandwiched between the wheel and wood. Something like this could help spread the load if your inner liner is a bit weak. Wood isn't the best look but then again my dinghy is a piece of crap. These wheels are big enough that I can pick up the bow and wheel it to the dock

1606528995362.png

Sep 29, 2008
@Sailm8, I like the way those clamp on wheels work. I have a wooden dolley I built years ago that worked great on the older solid fiberglass dinghy I had, but with the new fancy double hulled one, not so much. Perhaps I can mod my dinghy to have adjustable clamps.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I actually use a 4 wheel furniture mover on the bow and the wheels on the stern and roll/pull it to my garage for storage.