Install Yanmar GM10 in Oday 27 - experience or advice?

Oct 9, 2020
Oday 27 Gibsons Landing
I have an O'Day 27 and the previous owner removed the original Atomic 4. I am wondering if anyone has installed a Yanmar. Hoping to learn about any issues with fit and compatibility.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Look at a Beta instead. They have a replacement motor for an atomic 4 so minimal installation issues.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I have an O'Day 27 and the previous owner removed the original Atomic 4. I am wondering if anyone has installed a Yanmar. Hoping to learn about any issues with fit and compatibility.
I have a 1GM in my Ericson 26-2. The engine is a bit underpowered for my boat's displacement and would be even more so for yours. Otherwise, it is a good little engine.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Uh, guys, a Beta replacement will cost him 9-10k installed, 2 times what an O’day 27 is worth. A4’s had solid engine mounts so throw in 4 engine mounts. Yikes! A good used 1gm10 can be found for $1500 to $2,000 + engine mounts and some glass work to the engine bed. The Yanmar 2GM is a better choice.I’ve seen used ones for $2500. A 4 stroke long shaft 9.9 or 15 might be a reasonable option. Boat weighs 6700#. Rebuild or replace with used A-4 would be the easiest.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
When comparing costs of upgrading an older boat I prefer to compare it to what a new one would cost. A brand new 27 is likely in the 60 to $80K range (reference Beneteau First 27). First 27 - Sailboats For Sale | BENETEAU So for 10 grand you get a boat with a solid hull with a brand new motor. Might need some canvas work or rigging or other upgrades but say for 20 grand you get a boat in like new condition. Check out the price of a 22 foot center console sea hunt with a 200HP outboard, $53K. 10K for an older boat with a brand new motor is a good deal. IF you are putting in the motor to sell it and make a profit, don't bother, If you are keeping it to use it the price is reasonable.

Oct 9, 2020
Oday 27 Gibsons Landing
Thanks for the input. We have had the boat in the family for 20 years and any improvements will be for our enjoyment.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I had an O'Day 27 with what I recall was an 8hp Yanmar diesel. It ran great and hardly any fuel but was a bit slow and had the one-cylinder shake. If you have a choice, I'd move up to a 12 or twin cylinder 18 or equivalent. However, we had a Columbia 28 before the O'Day that had an Atomic 4. Super sweet engine. You may want to consider going back with a A4. I understand they are readily available rebuilt and there are parts and upgrades available. Have fun! That O'Day was a great boat.