We need to grind down the cockpit coaming and paint it.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We do not need to save the nonskid, but there are a lot of holes from the teak that we will fill.
What type of sander would you recommend?

View attachment 187375View attachment 187376
I'd go with a 6" Orbital sander. Buy a couple 80#, 60# and,...40# grit disks.

Start with the former and work down.

You'll know which grit 10 pack of sanding discs you need to buy. :)

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'd start out with 80 grit on a random oribital palm sander, evaluate how quickly it cuts and then switch to 60 grit or an angle grinder. Using a angle grinder on stuff like this takes a delicate hand. It almost feels like an art form

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I was thinking belt sander. Curious as to why nobody else suggested that?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I was thinking belt sander. Curious as to why nobody else suggested that?
Too aggressive and it's difficult to avoid gouging. @capta only wants to do a relatively small area, the coaming top. Any of the name brands, DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Makita, Bosch, etc random orbit sanders will do fine with less risk of gouging.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
IDK, but it seems to me that ANY horizontal surface big enough that somebody COULD step on it should be nonskid, whether or not it seems like an intentional foot traffic area. Because sooner or later, somebody WILL step on it.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Mine were Mirka Abranet HD or Abranet Ace HD (I have one of each in my spare pile; not sure which worked better). Seemed to cut at least as well as whatever ordinary paper I used to use, and lasted probably more than three times as long.

(With apologies for the thread drift)
No this is quite apropos. It is highly unlikely I can get even the 3M discs here, let alone the screens, but this is helpful info, thanks.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I'd go with a 6" Orbital sander. Buy a couple 80#, 60# and,...40# grit disks.

Start with the former and work down.

You'll know which grit 10 pack of sanding discs you need to buy. :)
Sadly we have few options as the PO no longer delivers here. So, if not available on the island, we'll have to import everything from Trini and we don't want to do that multiple times. So, I guess it's a box of each.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
What screen did you use? The ones I tried were not as good as 3M Purple. They didn't clog and the vacuum worked well, but they didn't cut as fast or last as long. But the idea makes sense, just as it does for drywall.
Abranet mesh is good brand of mesh. They cut faster and lasted longer than any of the Norton disks I tried. And they are almost dust free when hooked up to a vacuum system, to keep you and the surrounding area clean. They are available with hook and loop backing and are super easy to switch.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I would use an Orbital sander for removal, then apply fairing compound. After that, Since it’s a flat surface, I’d sand by hand with a block to ensure a flat surface for a subsequent steps if it’s going to be refinished with a high gloss top coat.

if the surface were curved, I’d use a long board for fairing

Judy B

capta

Jun 4, 2009
An update. Here's a pic of the coaming. Square tape are holes for screws or bolts that won't be going back on. Absolutely no cracks around the winches, which is why, if patched properly the ones from under the teak shouldn't reappear, I hope.
As you can see, non-skid is pointless.
cockpit coaming.JPG

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
For that I'd use a quarter-sheet finish sander with 60-grit and work down to 80 grit. Best control.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
An update. Here's a pic of the coaming. Square tape are holes for screws or bolts that won't be going back on. Absolutely no cracks around the winches, which is why, if patched properly the ones from under the teak shouldn't reappear, I hope.
As you can see, non-skid is pointless.View attachment 187412
Wow that’s a lot of holes! :) You might want to consider filling the holes before you sand it all off.

The picture confused me for second, bow direction was obvious, then I noticed the mast? Took me a second to remember you have a little bit bigger “yacht” then mine ;)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
As you can see, non-skid is pointless.View attachment 187412
We got a new generator and had to cut a hole in the cockpit floor for the replacement. They added faux teak over the glassed in hole. We’re considering this around our coaming. HD carries this.

Got rid of the 12v light in the engine room and added LED’s.

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We got a new generator and had to cut a hole in the cockpit floor for the replacement. They added faux teak over the glassed in hole. We’re considering this around our coaming. HD carries this.

Got rid of the 12v light in the engine room and added LED’s.
Amazon has it, EVA Faux teak.

U-tube shows how to install.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Wow that’s a lot of holes! :) You might want to consider filling the holes before you sand it all off.

The picture confused me for second, bow direction was obvious, then I noticed the mast? Took me a second to remember you have a little bit bigger “yacht” then mine ;)
That is the plan. yeah, two masts. lol

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I use a Bosch ROS20VSK Random Orbit sander.
This is the corded version. They may make a cordless model.

I have an attachment to connect to a vacuum with a bag filter to capture the dust. It is easy to use. You can quick change sanding pads. The grit determines the aggressiveness used to remover product. 80 grit quickly. Removed the molded nonskid on my bow so that I could install the windlass. I followed up with less aggressive sanding of the area with the change of a pad and some gelcoat.

View attachment 187390
I bought one of these a couple years ago, and can't recommend it more highly! Light weight, controllable, does complex or flat surfaces well and it sands really fast!

dj

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
It’s going take a lot of prep work and supplies (sounds like there are limitations where you are) to get it looking good with paint considering all the hole patching. I think you might be overlooking the significant lessening of these challenges with paint by using a textured product. It’s like texturing on drywall. It hides things.

Last edited: