Veterans Day, 2020

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
On behalf of the staff and moderators of SBO, we wish to say Thank You to our Veterans. Without your courage and sacrifice we would not have the joy and pleasure of being able to go places and do things with very little restrictions.

A hearty "Job Well Done"!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
:beer:
Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.
Emerson, Ralph Waldo

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thank you Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen, Marines, Coast Guard, all Veterans for your commitment and sacrifices. You give us the opportunity to enjoy the freedoms that bless our lives. We know that our debt to you is great. We humbly say thank you.
HAPPY VETERANS DAY!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I feel awkward and thankful when someone says "thanks for your service". Most of the cashiers at places like Home Depot don't even know what Vietnam was. I definitely appreciate and respect the gesture. What's the proper response? What do you vets reply with? What do the persons offering thanks appreciate in return? I always want to show my appreciation but I never have the words.

Feb 17, 2006
I feel awkward and thankful when someone says "thanks for your service". Most of the cashiers at places like Home Depot don't even know what Vietnam was. I definitely appreciate and respect the gesture. What's the proper response? What do you vets reply with? What do the persons offering thanks appreciate in return? I always want to show my appreciation but I never have the words.
The reply? "Without support, there is no service. Thank you for your support."

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Mostly I just smile and mumble a soft thanks. Sometimes I say it was my honor to serve sometimes I say I’d do it again in a heartbeat. And I think of the ones who didn’t come home. Stand for the flag kneel for the fallen

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
As a veteran from the 60's, I say thanks to those soldiers who served in a combat zone when I did not and I feel a bit guilty that I was so lucky to have been sent elsewhere (Germany) which changed my life and helped create a career. I say thank you to those that survived and especially to those families who lost a loved one.

Oct 22, 2014
it was my honor to serve
:plus:
LOWES has a year round program recognizing Veterans. When I am checking out I am always asked about military service. Perhaps it is the grey hair or one of the several ball caps I have from the ships which I have had contact.
Home Depot not so much. Only on Veterans Day and only then if I ask.

Aug 12, 2020
Lancer 36 Pago Pago
Unless Home Depot changed their policy, they had a year around veterans discount, just show an ID. Wish i had either of those stores here in American Samoa, i will be very glad to get back to Hawaii. I got the Auto Helm mounted on the boat yesterday, and got a complimentary burger meal from Carls Jr.:)

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Lowes here has parking spaces for vets. Kind of like Handicapped, only I don't think the law enforces them. Maybe they think all of us vets are old and needy (65 here)

Feb 17, 2006
You can get a Vet ID card from the VA I believe. I remember hearing about it but that is all. I have a retired ID card so I am good to go. But for you guys who served and then got out, it might be worth looking for that Vet ID Card. I heard there are 19 million of us.

Oct 22, 2014
Kansas puts Veteran status on drivers licenses so you don't have to carry a DD214 with you all the time.
Same here in Oregon. Once you show you DD214 to the DMV your drivers license can serve as evidence of honorable service.

Lowes told me to sign up on their site.

I did it and after my request was reviewed I received approval. Now all I do is give them my phone number for validation.

Oct 22, 2014
I looked into the Vet ID card and they are a fee based program which made me a bit uncomfortable about the promised program. I was recently learned about about the GOVX website. They have some interesting stuff and discounts on various stuff. What interested me is they discounted the YETI coolers to Vets.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Same here in Oregon. Once you show you DD214 to the DMV your drivers license can serve as evidence of honorable service.

Lowes told me to sign up on their site.

I did it and after my request was reviewed I received approval. Now all I do is give them my phone number for validation.
Same here, only they added it to my MyLowes card (not Lowes credit card) so when they scan it my discount is applied.

When I went to the DMV to get my DL renewed, I just brought in my vehicle registration that showed I had a vet tag. The lady said she needed to see my DD214 to give me vet status. My response was don't the tag and license offices share information? I needed a DD214 to get the plate. Anyway, it didn't seem like I was going to get anywhere, but when I looked at my DL after I left, it had "veteran" printed on it. She must have just needed to appear to be following the rules to her coworkers. If I had known I would have thanked her.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
When I got my RealID DL in MD last year, I brought my DD214 along and now my DL has "Veteran" on it. Of course as with @Brian D , I have a retired ID card, so am good to go. :beer:

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
No response is necessary. Those of us who say "thanks" just want you to know we appreciate your sacrifices.