In-Mast Furling Question - Beneteau Oceanis 400

Nov 7, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 400 2 Watergate Yacht Center
My boat is a 1993 Beneteau Oceanis 400.
Furling in and out of the In-Mast Furling is a real pain.
Please see the 2 photos to look at how the furler rope exits the in-mast furler.
It seems the rope should come out from the other side as the tension on the rope is extreme as it is going in and going out.
Can someone post a photo of an Oceanis 400 in-mast furler and how the rope exits the in-mast furler?
I have my mainsail getting repaired currently so I think that will help but wondering if the bigger issue is how the furler rope exits the in-mast furler.

Thank you! Allen

Attachments

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
To me it looks like your rope is is wound backwards on the drum. That way it would not be rubbing. Is the drum installed upside down. Many people have replaced this drum ,maybe previous owner

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This is mine from ZSpar...
2014-06-23 18.15.46-FurlingLine copy.jpeg

Yours appear to be missing the Port side rub rail , the Starboard side show a white friction rub.
You could relocate it the the Port side.

tension on the rope is extreme as it is going in and going out
My guess is it not the furler, but the way your sail is wrapped inside.

Jim...

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
It looks like your boom is way over to the port side. If you move it towards the centre or to starboard it will not rub. Remember you have a block on the boom just forward of the vang which guides the inhaul line.
Just my 2 cents
Picture is of a bene 351
3bene351yachtworld.png

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My boat is a 1993 Beneteau Oceanis 400.
Furling in and out of the In-Mast Furling is a real pain.
Please see the 2 photos to look at how the furler rope exits the in-mast furler.
It seems the rope should come out from the other side as the tension on the rope is extreme as it is going in and going out.
Can someone post a photo of an Oceanis 400 in-mast furler and how the rope exits the in-mast furler?
I have my mainsail getting repaired currently so I think that will help but wondering if the bigger issue is how the furler rope exits the in-mast furler.

Thank you! Allen
Never had a furling main, but I'd think the line on the spool needs to be raised almost to the top of the spool? My 3 cents. As you pull the inhual line, the tack line whould "worm" it's way down the spool? That, or the worm-spool is upside down.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020
Beneteau 411 Forked River
Hi.. I was having a problem with my in mast furling system on my 2002 411. I contacted US Spars . I was told the system should be factory serviced every15 years. The cost was around 200 with the new furling line installed . I mailed it on Monday and received it back on Friday . The service was great and it solved my problem.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
haven’t really got into learning about the system yet but how difficulty is it to remove??

Nov 9, 2020
Beneteau 411 Forked River
The furling unit is very easy to remove . You can find the instructions online or contact US Spars . Takes less than a half hour.

Oct 4, 2015
Beneteau Clipper 411 Split Croatia
Dear Allen, if the "all out" line and the in mast rope are very tension as you described, the issue is your BACKSTAY! they are overly tension, which makes a braking effect on the in mast rod/pole, and this what make it real pain when you furling out/in. it is well known phenomenon. so, my suggestion is that you will ease the backstay all the way, try to fuler out/in by hend (without using the winch, standing near the mast) the sail should spread out easily.
when you are under sail and want to furle in make sure that you are going straight into the wind. if this is not solved call the rigger .
furling failure can become catastrophic and life threatening event.
good luke