Was O'Day 28 Standing Headroom, Now Various Questions About 28 and 30

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
I recently posted a question -- to an O'Day FB group -- about the 28's standing headroom (in the salon) and got replies which suggested that the newest models (maybe 1984 on) seem to have a maximum headroom of 5'11" while the older models have 6'1". If you know the headroom in your 28 would you please chime in with the height and your model year? Down the road, after my daughter is out of college, I am thinking about getting a 28 or 30.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
This article indicates the O'Day 30 (1977 - 1984) headroom in the main cabin is 6′ 3″ on centerline aft and forward cabin is 6' on centerline.

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks sfbay. I've read that article and enjoyed it. The feedback from O'Day owners on the FB group pretty much confirmed those HR numbers for the 30. But I'm curious about variations in 28 headroom reported for different model years. So please feel free to chime in O'Day 28 owners.

May 2, 2020
Catalina 36 MkII 1778 Venice, FL
I'm 5'11" and I can comfortably walk around our 1984 Oday 28. A 1983 sales brochure I have says headroom is 5'9". Although pictures of interior look identical to our 1984, so I'm not aware of any change.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The ‘85 brochure says 5’9” in the front cabin, 5’10” in the head, and 6’ in the cabin. I’m just over 5’11” and don’t remember ever being uncomfortably crouched.

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for the comments so far. According to the replies on the FB discussion there definitely seems to be some HR variation in 28s of different model years, Any other 28 owners who want to weigh in please do.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I had a 1985 O'28.. I'm a tad over 6'1 and never had any issues or needed to duck. Centerline there is about 6'2 or 3 and it tapers to the outboard. Because of the port and starboard seats, you couldn't stand where the overhead diminishes.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
I have a 1981 O’Day 28. I’m 5’11” and there is plenty of head room. I never think of ducking or stooping unless I’m going forward through the door to the head.

Nov 25, 2018
Oday 28 Wiscasset, ME
I had a 1985 O'28.. I'm a tad over 6'1 and never had any issues or needed to duck. Centerline there is about 6'2 or 3 and it tapers to the outboard.
This is correct. I have a 1985 28 and I am 5’10” and I have a 2-3 inches of clearance. I think the Facebook group may have been off on this. The best thing about the 28 is the main part of the cabin is enormous for a 28 footer.

I am going to sel mine and go to a bigger boat after this next season so let me know if interested. It is in Maine.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
This is correct. I have a 1985 28 and I am 5’10” and I have a 2-3 inches of clearance. I think the Facebook group may have been off on this. The best thing about the 28 is the main part of the cabin is enormous for a 28 footer.

I am going to sel mine and go to a bigger boat after this next season so let me know if interested. It is in Maine.
We loved our O'28...She's got a good home now and the new owner and I stay in contact.

dfp51

Jun 26, 2019
O'Day 28 Lorain, Ohio
I have an 84 and am between 6'0" and 6'1". I can stand up in the cabin but my son (6'3") has to duck. So I would guess 6'2"?

Oct 20, 2014

Thank you. So that's the roughly 6'1" headroom that others have reported. The reports on the FB group came from O'Day 28 owners so I am not sure what the discrepancy is. If you're interested, the thread is here: Facebook Groups

I'm glad to hear the reports here of 6'1"+ headroom in the later 28s as well as the older ones. I'm not planning to move to a larger boat for another five years or so but I am using that generous stretch of time to research boats. I'm partial to O'Days and right now am leaning towards a 30 or a 28. Keel/centerboard in either case. In the meantime I am going to keep my eye out for a triple-axle trailer that can carry a heavy 30' sailboat. I would be keeping the boat at home (to work on it) in the off season when it is not moored. I've already researched the needed permit and rules for a twice annual towing trip to and from Lake Champlain.

This changes the topic but I'd be curious to hear from 28 and 30 owners about which engine their boats have and whether or not it has enough to power to get to hull speed even in a headwind, etc. From my reading it sounds like some of the boats are a bit underpowered in some conditions.

dfp51

Jun 26, 2019
O'Day 28 Lorain, Ohio
We have a Universal M12 in ours. The motor is adequate for maneuvering, etc. We spent 3+ hours motoring directly into about 12/15 knots of wind coming back from Kelly's Island on Lake Erie this summer. We were doing just a tick more than 5 knots flat out if I recollect correctly. I doubt seriously it will reach hull speed (which I think is 6+ knots) even off the wind. Although why you would motor in a sailboat off the wind is beyond me.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We also had an M12, though I remember having better speed than dfp51. I remember generally cruising close to 6 knots with a clean bottom early in the season, less (low-mid 5’s) later season. That was without pushing anywhere near WOT. We generally only motored in a protected river to and from our marina, so I don’t remember how well it could push into higher winds and seas.

One more consideration - you said you want a keel/centerboard model, but I think that’s only available on the earlier years. Definitely by 85 they only offered fixed keels of either 3’8” (shoal) or 4’8” (deep) draft. I know they offered a centerboard in the early 80’s, at least through 82, but those were raw water cooled engines in those years too.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
...I'd be curious to hear from 28 and 30 owners about which engine their boats have and whether or not it has enough to power to get to hull speed even in a headwind, etc. From my reading it sounds like some of the boats are a bit underpowered in some conditions.
We have a 31 with the 14 horse M18. I would say it is adequate but on the low side. Hull speed is theoretically 6.7 Kts or so but in a headwind I would say the engine will push it to the 5.5 range. At least fo me, faster than that and I feel I am taxing the engine. Of course, it is 35 years old!

Oct 20, 2014
We also had an M12, though I remember having better speed than dfp51. I remember generally cruising close to 6 knots with a clean bottom early in the season, less (low-mid 5’s) later season. That was without pushing anywhere near WOT. We generally only motored in a protected river to and from our marina, so I don’t remember how well it could push into higher winds and seas.

One more consideration - you said you want a keel/centerboard model, but I think that’s only available on the earlier years. Definitely by 85 they only offered fixed keels of either 3’8” (shoal) or 4’8” (deep) draft. I know they offered a centerboard in the early 80’s, at least through 82, but those were raw water cooled engines in those years too.
Thank you. I am certainly interested in earlier year examples of the 28 and 30 so that engine correlation you just mentioned is an important thing for me to keep in mind. I may want to look for boats that have been repowered. My gut sense is that I'd be happier with about 16 hp in the 28 and 20 hp in the 30 and I know both of those power levels are beyond stock. The boat would be based at Lake Champlain but I might take it down the ICW and over to the Bahamas (during a good weather window). I've been sailing for a long time now and being able to reach hull speed into the wind (under power) is useful when there is a storm coming (esp. with lightning).