Boarding Ladder for Hunter 49

BritC

Sep 22, 2020
Hunter 49 Ventura
I recently came across a Hunter 49 (2008 I think) that had two insets to accommodate a boarding ladder (reduce the drop for the wife getting off to tie up).

I don't have the inset on my similar boat. Was wondering what the work is to create them (don't fancy drilling holes in my deck without a lot of research) or do any boarding ladders exist that do not require drilling holes? Would the downward pressure on a free standing ladder be sufficient? Or could one attach a ladder to the safety rail? or use a fender ladder? Its seems like I would have to create these holes on both sides of the boat to be useful.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I got a new boarding ladder in 2019. Had it designed to attach to a couple of track mounts on the toe rail. I've attached the blank order form so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. :beer:

Attachments

BritC

Sep 22, 2020
Hunter 49 Ventura
Thanks. Looks neat and tidy, except I dont have a toe rail on the 2009. Its a molded ridge rather than toe rail. And this ridge (molded fiberglass) comes down as a nice (useless) curve to join the sidewalk. I think a traditional ladder with a loop at the top would not grip or be held in place.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Sailstep seems to have gone out of business, but I built my own from 1/8th inch aluminum angle bracket and a Garelick cockpit step.
If there is no toerail or coaming to hang it over maybe you could rig shackles to the base of the gate stanchions.
Just make sure you put appropriate cushioning between any bolt heads and the gel coat (ask me how I know).