Catalina 320 Stem Fitting

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I've been most alarmed with the stem fitting on my new 1999 Catalina 320. I have a picture of the stem when I purchased the boat in June that shows no rust stains whatever around the stem fitting. Now I have this.
IMG_2554.jpg

As it turns out, the original stem fitting on the 320 is a known problem. CD sells a modified / simplified / and more robust fitting. My plan is to replace the fitting as my first major project. I suppose that I could tie off the halyards and replace this with the mast standing. However, being cautious, and curious about other fittings on the mast, I think I will take the mast down. I may even think about replacing all the 20-year old standing rigging.

Now I need to find out how to gain access to the fasteners inside the hull!

I read in the Catalina forums that this particular fitting is prone to crevice corrosion because of the wings welded to the sides. The new fitting is entirely made with steel at the thickness at the toggle bolt. The wings are eliminated and there are no welds.

Does this look alarming? Should I be ending my season early? It looks alarming to me.

IMG_2553.jpg

Attachments

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
In the anchor locker (on the 270 at least) there is an access hatch at the very front where you can get to the nuts. Having replaced this part, Ill offer that whatever you put through that hole to act as a wrench/ratchet, Whatever, is firmly attached. And you use some wax or goo on the nuts and washers when reinstalling to keep them in the socket until attached. You’ll never see them again otherwise. Dont ask me how i know this. :)

• Helpful
Aug 1, 2011
(And, mines been changed, so if you want to trade boats, we could certainly save some work for you....)

• Ha
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
That is pretty shocking rust. Good luck. Meriachee has some good advice there.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
The amount of rust is concerning so your plan to replace and inspect during the off season sounds good. However, even if the welds failed on your headstay I wouldn't be too concerned. The main load is on the strap which is a continuous piece and not cracked so the welds may break but your headstay will not fail.

As to mast up or down, just run a halyard (or 2) forward and tie those off. They will support the rig while you replace the fitting.

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
It looks like the rust might be running down from the furler with some staining on the toggle, the shackle below, on the deck behind the stem, then obviously down the bow.
Any changes to the furler or headsail that might introduce the problem, maybe a bad shackle, seizing wire or something?
The season is ending in a month or so, if it were my dilemma I'd clean up the rust (maybe some barkeepers friend powder?), examine it closely with a magnifying glass for visible cracks, then go sailing. I always run the spinnaker halyard forward of the furler and attached to the bow pulpit as a backup to the headstay, that may give you some peace of mind until hauling.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Before you work in that tight spot, stuff a towel down there so anything that falls doesn’t go away..... good luck!

Greg

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Might be good to check that whole fitting with a magnet. If mildly magnetic, the builder received a run of SS that did not meet specs. Excellent Idea to remove it, buff it to a mirror shine, and check for cracks on all sides, with a magnifier.
I have a similar problem with dropped parts or tools when working inside in that area, but our boat has a ~one inch limber hole at the base of that forward bulkhead, and parts can be retrieved with a bit of reaching into the next compartment aft.
Just getting both arms and a wrench into that area is rather challenging... and of course a trouble light. Perspiration and imprecations seem to help, a little. :(
As work areas go, it's a lonely place!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Scott the previous owner had cleaned and dressed the boat for your review and purchase.

Now you find something needs your attention. Your idea to nspect not just wave it of with some cleaning makes sense. Somewhere there is some iron rusting.

Look to the fore shroud and follow it up till you find the source.

What type of furler do you have. I had a ProFurler. It used steel ball bearings captured in a sealed case. The seals crack and the bearings are able to see moisture and they rust.

Only by inspection can you resolve this issue.

Aug 1, 2011
The majority might well be coming from the furler, down the back and sides of the tang, and migrating through the bolt shafts, in fact making it look worse than it is. Look at the sides where it passes through the deck.
With the possible exception of that blob beside the second bolt down. If that's not a puddle that dried, there's maybe bigger problems here.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Ahoy, Andante, from SV Andante! The bow strap (chainplate?) on my 2003 C310 doesn't show any rust yet. The one on your boat, unfortunately, looks to be made from a lesser grade of stainless steel. The large amount of rust built up at the base of the strap seems to indicate the rust is coming from the back of the part. Let us know what you find.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Should I be ending my season early?
No. It's only 4 weeks or so. And even if a bolt is failing you have 4 others.
It looks to me like the lowest (Closest to the waterline) bolt is responsible for most of the stain. I'm guessing the bolt, nuts or washers are of inferior SS. The rest of the rust I think you could find on many salt water vessels if the SS wasn't cleaned and polished. Contrary to what we are told SS needs maintenance.
My wife confronted the manager of Riverhead WM with a tarnished SS part we bought there and his response was "That's why they call it Stain-Less."

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
"That's why they call it Stain-Less."
That’s an obnoxious comment. If the yard put it on they went cheap. If they charged premium price they ripped you off. You catching them then they provide a insult. Very bad form.