Remove Hunter 28.5 Mast

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
The coax up to my antenna failed inside the mast And I have lighting problems (bulbs?) but being cautious I decided to remove the mast this winter for maintenance.

So my question is how do I disconnect the mast to lay it down?

I have access to a crane and I can disconnect stays to lower the mast down, but my biggest concern is in locating the junction box. I see where the cables come down through the mast support beam in the cabin in the bilge, but there are no connectors there.

Does anyone know where I would find the disconnects On a 78 Hunter 28.5?

I’m assuming that the procedure is (about):
1. Mark all the stays (and I’ll probably measure the turnbuckles for re-installation post-check)
2. Remove the sails the boom
3. Connect the crane strap to the front of the mast, Up between the 2 sets of spreaders, and tie a rope to the strap so I can tie it down to the bottom cleat so the strap doesn’t go all the way to the top of the upper spreader (better balance, keep it off the top wires)
4. Remove the 4 bolts holding the mast down (perhaps leave 1 or 2 loose until the cables are loose/disconnected)
5. Loosen all the stay cables Disconnect them and tie them to the mast.
Somewhere in here, I have to find the junction box to disconnect the cables!!!!!
6. Tilt the mast down and lower it & tie it to the deck.

What am I missing???

Sir Michael

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
On the hunters the junction is at the mast base (under the mast. You will need to raise the mast up about 4-6", disconnect the wiring (be careful it doesn't slip) and then you can lower the mast.

You really don't need to mark the stays (they only go back one way) and you can tune the mast once it is back up.

To support the mast you will need a medium length dockline. Toss it over the lower spreader, behind the mast back over the lower spreader and then back around the mast and tie it in a loop. Then attach the line to the crane to this loop. Keep the loop under the lower stay attachment points so you don't put too much stress on the lower spreaders. Raise the mast, disconnect the electrical and using the forestay and backstay and with at least 2 people on the lower part of the mast slowly lower the mast.

Lake sailors do this all the time with either a crane or a gin pole.

Go slow, be safe and have fun.

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
And please block the mast up before you stick anything personal under it, one twitch of the crane or a line slips and you'll be in real trouble, finger-wise