minimum solar for battery maintenance over winter?

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
I have two house and one starting battery, all AGM. House batts are 200 AH each. What's the minimum solar panel and mppt I need to maintain these while on the hard this winter?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Do you have a parasitic load on them? If not, charge them fully at decommissioning and pull the Positive terminals. They will be perfectly fine in the spring.

If they were wet I'd also say to check the water level, but you get to skip that step!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
:plus: Fully charge them and then disconnect the positive lead. The self-discharge rates drops in the winter as the batteries get cold.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
+1 from me as well. AGM self discharge rates are even better than flooded lead acid. I make sure mine are charged at the end of the season and let them sit disconnected. I usually charge them for one overnight around New Year’s, but even then they’re right around 12.7 volts and the charger only stays in bulk mode for a very short time before falling back to float.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have two house and one starting battery, all AGM. House batts are 200 AH each. What's the minimum solar panel and mppt I need to maintain these while on the hard this winter?
Zero...

Charge to full, equalize if they are capable of an EQ (only Lifeline AGM's are), and 100% disconnect them from each other and the vessel.

Done...