Wednesday is Cruising Photo Day - 2020!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
7:00 am, Pulpit Harbor. A light southeast breeze has laid a thick dew on the decks. Most of us are content to sleep below or enjoy a cup of coffee. This sailor is struck by the urge to sail quietly out of the harbor.
AE2169EB-71B1-4D1C-A7D0-B3C5152F9E87.jpeg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Often times down here in southern New England waters the threat is not our speed, but the other guy's reckless powerboat speed...monitoring 16 we often hear angry guys saying slow down, dammit...:(
Sailing where you know you can trust the charts, with modern navigation equipment, being in the fog can be enjoyable - except for other boats.
I do find it somewhat disorienting being in the fog at night. That's when you really need to have faith in your instruments. The compass becomes the centre of my attention in those conditions.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Rowing out to the mooring field in the fog is like being in a house of mirrors funhouse, then someone turns the lights out. You practically have to put your hand on every boat there until you find yours.

Oddly enough, I noticed how white hulls are easier to see than other colors.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Rowing out to the mooring field in the fog is like being in a house of mirrors funhouse, then someone turns the lights out. You practically have to put your hand on every boat there until you find yours.

Oddly enough, I noticed how white hulls are easier to see than other colors.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I keep a small topo compass in the dingy so I know which direction to go. Beats going around in circles.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I keep a small topo compass in the dingy so I know which direction to go. Beats going around in circles.
I remember removing sails and getting ready for the fall haulout. I was sitting on my mooring and watched as fog rolled in. I was no more than 100 yards off the dinghy dock. I started to shore in the right direction but couldn't see beyond the next moored boat. I putted along slowly for what seemed like forever only to find myself back at my own boat!:banghead: It was pretty funny but it did scare me.
I try not to sail when it's foggy but sometimes you don't have a choice. Seems like most of my foggy experiences are traveling to and from Block Island. A few years back my radar was on the blink and all I could hear where motors. I monitor 16 and use my horn but it can be scary. Not far off my bow I saw the Point Judith fast ferry buzzing by doing 30 knots :yikes:. I now have the radar up and running and added AIS and it can still be nerve racking.

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
maiden voyage on my hunter 30 bringing her down the east river through Manhattan the lights are amazing