180W Constant Current Electronic Load 200V/20A Battery Tester Discharge Capacity

Oct 26, 2009
Pearson 323 Rock Creek, Pasadena, MD
You can set the "Shut Off" Voltage where you want the test to stop (10.5 per Mainesail's instructions).
Is this cutoff setpoint the same for Gel Cells, or should it be something different? Paging Mainesail...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Nifty tester but testing one battery at a time can be time consuming and testing just the whole bank can yield inaccurate results.
How is that, Benny. Please explain.
Suggest using first a simple automotive voltage and load tester to determine that all batteries in a bank will be in a comparative state of health before conducting the Capacity Test.
What does that mean, Benny, a "comparative state of health," and how do you determine that with "a simple automotive voltage and load tester?" And what's the point?

I feel you really don't know what you're talking about.

I'm going to use the bank as a bank, so testing the bank's capacity is useful. I can, indeed, test the two batteries of the bank separately, but I don't see how that's relevant or useful, except perhaps in determining if they are far different from each other.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ralph think of it “latte” terms. $50 is about 10 Starbucks. Surly you can afford 10 Starbucks or forego 10 of them. You be saving 2500 calories. As a bonus.
And you’ll have a cool toy to show the other sailors in the marina. It’s a win win win.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Nifty tester but testing one battery at a time can be time consuming and testing just the whole bank can yield inaccurate results. Suggest using first a simple automotive voltage and load tester to determine that all batteries in a bank will be in a comparative state of health before conducting the Capacity Test.
An automotive battery tester is useful for checking starting batteries, but no so useful for checking the capacity of your house bank. The automotive tester can put up to a 500 amp draw on your battery for a few seconds, much like what happens when you start the engine. This information is not very relevant in determining how much capacity your house bank may have lost. Whereas the testers that we are looking at drawdown at a max of 13 amps (150 watts or can be set for less). This is more inline with how we use house banks.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Is this cutoff setpoint the same for Gel Cells, or should it be something different? Paging Mainesail...
The cut off for all lead acid batteries is 10.5V (under load) per BCI 20 hour testing standards. If the tester does not have a dedicated volt sense lead then you'll need to figure in the actual voltage drop at the 20 hour load for the pos & neg wires.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I need some help on this! I finally got around to using it, and after it runs for exactly 1 hour it stops discharging and the display shows "Tips!" Any help?

Thanks,

jv